I did not sign up for this - what would you do??

My son is almost 9 and has signed up for Cub Scouts. At first, I went to all the meetings and listened to parents who knew each other very well chat. Again, very small town and some of these folks have been cubbing together for years. The group consists of locals, um, North GA, deep mountain, somewhat loud (even rude) locals. I don't want to be ugly, BUT they are not my group...

Last week, I dropped him off and sat in the car so that I could study. He came out and told me that everyone wanted to know where I was at??? At this age, I should be able to drop him off and pick him up, right? I was in Girl Scouts and my mom never came in to chat for an hour+. Tonight is scout night, I do not have any desire to go in, I have a great book and need to study. Would you feel obligated to go in???

jalex

Asked by jalex at 11:46 AM on Oct. 7, 2009 in Just for Fun

• No, I wouldn't feel obligated. Have him go in, if they ask where you are, have your son tell them you had errands to run and you will be back in time to pick him up. Then sit in your car and study in the parking lot!
    austinsmama1106

Answer by austinsmama1106 at 11:50 AM on Oct. 7, 2009

• My advice is if your child wants you to go in, then yes go in. Could you go in for half of the meeting and leave for the other half?
    3gigglemonsters

Answer by 3gigglemonsters at 11:51 AM on Oct. 7, 2009

I thought about that, but will have my toddler with me tonight, it is going to be hard keeping the little one quite. My scout could care less...
    jalex

Answer by jalex at 12:03 PM on Oct. 7, 2009

• Nahh, no need. obviously it wasn't the child asking for you, but the other parents being nosey. Tell him to tell them that he's fine without you.
    Anonymous

• It's about doing something together with your child. Bonding more. Giving him something to look back on when he's older, letting him know that things he likes are important to you, even if you don't like them, etc.. You don't have to talk to anyone there but your son, and if people talk to you, just give quick, short answers and move on. Your attitude about the whole thing is pretty selfish, IMO.
    NightPhoenix

Answer by NightPhoenix at 12:07 PM on Oct. 7, 2009

Yeah well, I would rather not go and take him hiking.... We have together time, shouldn't include all this BS.
    jalex

Answer by jalex at 12:13 PM on Oct. 7, 2009

• Oh and to add to my most recent reply... I am not wild about my son being around people who smoke at the park and rec building and talk about Posion concerts and all the weed in the meeting (YES, they did!)....
    jalex

Answer by jalex at 12:17 PM on Oct. 7, 2009

• I wouldn't bother going in just b/c those other ladies are loud and nosy. I wouldn't want to sit around for an hour listening to that if there were better things I could be doing with my time.
    kikikiki

Answer by kikikiki at 12:34 PM on Oct. 8, 2009