Cleaning & Rental ?'s

I am moving out of our rental and the landlord told me that we needed to clean the place as clean as if someone was moving into it or we don't get our deposit back and they can charge us extra if they think it needs more work? Is this right? Has anyone ever dealt with a scumbag for a landlord?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:49 AM on Oct. 7, 2009 in Just for Fun

• That's a standard thing with all rentals.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:52 AM on Oct. 7, 2009

• Yes, it should be in the same condition it was when you moved in or at least close to it. In the last apartment I lived in, they said that if they couldn't see the lines in the carpet from a carpet cleaner, we would get charged for cleaning the carpet. I vacuumed to make the lines and took my own pictures before I moved out to prove it was clean!
    austinsmama1106

Answer by austinsmama1106 at 11:54 AM on Oct. 7, 2009

• Yes thats rite.. Like the last place we moved out of we rented a steam cleaner from foodlion/walmart and did the whole house.. this is meaning u need to make sure carpet has no stains no cobwebbs in corners no mes.. it should be same as it was when u moved in it..
    SweetiePieAfWf

Answer by SweetiePieAfWf at 11:54 AM on Oct. 7, 2009

• how long have you lived there? If over 5 years that should be taken into consideration, be direct and nice but firm!
    4artistsmom

Answer by 4artistsmom at 11:56 AM on Oct. 7, 2009

• you have a neat freak for a landlord? good heavens! sorry this guy sounds like a angray jerk avoid him if all possible. Get your hubby to talk to him!
    4artistsmom

Answer by 4artistsmom at 11:58 AM on Oct. 7, 2009

• Yep, that is correct. If you have a lease, take a look at it. It should provide details.
    NightPhoenix

Answer by NightPhoenix at 11:59 AM on Oct. 7, 2009

• The Landlord is not a scumbag for telling you that. If you read your tenant agreement it says you are to leave it in rentable condition. Do you have a problem cleaning up your own shit and expect someone else to do it for you?
    EireLass

Answer by EireLass at 12:00 PM on Oct. 7, 2009

• I would say that it is expected, in most situations, for the previous tenant to clean the property, but I believe that the landlord is required to paint and shampoo carpets at their own expense. That has been the case in all of the places I have leased. Check out the laws in your state b/c the landlord may be responsible for future tenant prep. Also, be sure to draw up a walk-thru sheet when you first move into a place of any and all damage, existing carpet stains, etc. each time you rent so that the landlord can't try to fault you when you move out. I failed to do the walk-thru sheet years ago when I lived in an apt. and I got charged for the pre-existing damages when I moved out!
    kenzie07

Answer by kenzie07 at 12:03 PM on Oct. 7, 2009

• landlord would otherwise have to pay someone else to clean it up. i think it's the respectful thing to do- it's hard to find a place to live and i've been grateful for the places i've rented.
    ranedare

Answer by ranedare at 12:04 PM on Oct. 7, 2009

• If you would read what I wrote above you would see that I had to clean the carpets before I moved in TWICE-I don't have a problem cleaning up my stuff I have a problem with jerkoffs like you! And yes he is a scumbag-you don't know him so keep your nasty opinions to yourself!
    Anonymous