Wisdom Teeth

I need to get my wisdom teeth taken out soon, but I still breastfeed. The doc said that I couldn't brestfeed while taking the anti-botics, and the pain pill. Has anyone else ever had there wisdom teeth taken out while they are breastfeeding?

Trishy7

Asked by Trishy7 at 12:10 PM on Oct. 7, 2009 in Health

• I found a nice chart with the drugs that are contraindicated (can't take) on the Merck website that you can print out. The drugs are anticoagulants (blood thinners), cytotoxics (chemotherapy drugs), some psychoactive drugs (for mental illness), and 8 other drugs in certain situations. None of the 8 are antibiotics or pain pills.

http://www.merck.com/media/mmpe/pdf/Table_266-4.pdf
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 12:28 PM on Oct. 7, 2009

• No but I would pump and freeze :)
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 12:14 PM on Oct. 7, 2009

• Sure you can! There are only a few drugs you can't take while breastfeeding. New moms that have had C-sections take pain meds and breastfeed. New moms that get UTIs during from being cathed take antibiotics and breastfeed. New moms with other infections breastfeed. And that's with newborns!

While I was nursing I got pneumonia and septicemia (bacteria in your blood). My premature baby was only 4 weeks old. I had to be on IV antibiotics for 3 weeks and 10 other drugs (oral and asthma inhalers). I nursed him in the hospital and then they let me go home and have home IVs and nursing care the rest of the 3 weeks so I could breastfeed.

If he won't do it find another dentist or have your MD talk to the dentist.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 12:18 PM on Oct. 7, 2009

• Ask your oral surgeon and ob which antibiotics and pain pills they suggest ahead of time. Then give both La Leche and your pharmacist a call - You can call La Leche Home Office or local even without being a member and you are absolutely then obligated to be a member after the call.

They can give you different safe antibiotics and pain pills safe for bf. I had very severe mastitis when breastfeeding. I ended up, after talking to by ob and La Leche and pharma., taking my pills right after feeding so that when next feeding time came my pills were less strong in my breastmilk.

I'm sure things will go well for you!!
    lfl

Answer by lfl at 12:22 PM on Oct. 7, 2009

• Nope, not breastfeeding. I was 16 and they knocked me out and removed all 4 at once That was my choice. I had seen a couple of friends who had them removed one at a time, and it seems they just extended the pain, so I had them do it all in one whack. You will be in some major pain for 3 or 4 days, but I wouldn't wait if they are impacted or infected, that is worse for your baby than the anti-biotics and pain meds.
    Anonymous

• ... don't be scared of my mixed up wording .... correct wording is ...... asking La Leche league a question Not being a member does NOT obligate you to become a member!!!

When I was pregnant with my first my friend told me, when I commented that I was going to go to La Leche meetings -"NOT DON"T GO They're a bunch of communists - very forceful and demanding, commanding in their thinking and practices" Not true at all, they never put me down for my sections and long first labor.

I've consulted with them even about possible breast cancer as a non nursing mom. Very compassionate about motherhood and choices I found several different states groups to be.
    lfl

Answer by lfl at 12:27 PM on Oct. 7, 2009

• Some people on here are LLL Leaders but Leaders can't say they are for liability and other reasons. LLL Leaders are not allowed to give medical advice. If you know the name of the drug and the leader happens to have the latest copy of the drug book then she might read info about the drug to you. She is not supposed to say "the book says the drug is OK." That might be considered medical advice. However, not all Leaders follow all the rules.

What you need is something you can print out and the dentist will belive like the Merck chart above.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 12:37 PM on Oct. 7, 2009