Do I stand alone??? Where are all of my curvy/plus size mommas at?

I often wonder if the average size woman is a size 14 (yes I said 14) then where are we represented at in the fashion industry. In recent years the size of the average American woman has gotten larger however the venues in which we buy our clothing has gotten smaller or we are now reduced to doing most of our shopping online and thru catologs. I understand there are still some department stores that sell larger sizes and even some stand alone stores such as Old Navy and outlets stores that carry larger sizes and that's great. However, the next time you take a stroll in your local mall take a look around at the shops and count how many stores you see that cater to women of all sizes.

It's even worse in smaller towns. It's like our money is good enough to take via the internet but they'll be damned to carry a size 18 pant "in store" for fear of not looking cool. If you're curvy and miss your favorite stores what if...

Ladybugkisses76

Asked by Ladybugkisses76 at 12:31 PM on Oct. 7, 2009 in Just for Fun

• and the shirt sizes?? OMG - really? I hate that all I can buy are frumpy looking clothes... not all of us are or want to be a size 2
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 12:33 PM on Oct. 7, 2009

• if anything do you do about it?
    Are you a healthy plus size gal, who isn't ashamed of being the size you are?

I'm a size 18 and most people tell me I don't look it but the truth be told that even woman who wear size 14, 16, 18 and 20 may not look like they actually wear that size. The size you are means much more than your belly or hip size.

What ever your size you are if you live a healthy lifestyle than you should be proud and demand to have clothing readily available for you just like your thinner friends.
    Ladybugkisses76

Answer by Ladybugkisses76 at 12:34 PM on Oct. 7, 2009

• OMG - the fashion industry doesn't know how to fit or dress us. In their eyes we are either all old frumpy women who don't give a rat's behind about how we look or they think all they have to do is take what a smaller sized woman would wear and make the waist bigger.

I often wonder do they actually measure the hips, thighs, bust and waist of a plus size woman and then make the patterns to the clothing. We're not all short and dumpy women. I'm almost 5'10, I'm a 40DD and I'm only in my early 30's. I love looking fashionable and even sexy for my hubby. The few stores out there for us have you spending your entire pay check or getting a second mortgage just to afford something to wear. And don't even get me started on shoes, thanks to my height my feet are a size 11 and there are but a handful of stores that sell my size and when they do I have to figure out whether I buy shoes or if the heating bill gets paid. UHG!
    Ladybugkisses76

Answer by Ladybugkisses76 at 12:43 PM on Oct. 7, 2009

• I agree its pretty messed up. But, I'm not into the "in" looking clothes. Im a baggy jeans and t-shirt kind of girl. Mainly because I dont feel comfortable in anything else. I'm hoping that all changes once i lose the weight.
    Anonymous

• I was up to a size 16 2 years ago. And yes I found it very difficult to buy cute, bigger clothes (Thank goodness for Torrid!), and through a strict diet I am now down to a 12/14, working on getting to 10/12, but even at this size, its hard to find "cute" stuff, it's almost all baggy!
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 12:59 PM on Oct. 7, 2009

• I don't like how plus size clothes are more expensive either. I know it's more fabric but it just makes me angry and I leave the store with nothing.
    keisha613

Answer by keisha613 at 1:07 PM on Oct. 7, 2009

• Oh, ladybugkisses, how I agree! I was happily surprised though at Walmart the other day that the Just My Size clothing line had gone from being just sportswear to having some cute, cute pants and tops. The line goes from 1X to 5X, so that should fir quite a variety of women, and the colors and styles are really nice. What bums me out is when I hear a woman say, "Well, I'll dress nicely when I lose the weight..." Be happy and confident now, don't wait to lose the weight! You will find that it is much easier to lose weight and take care of yourself if you love yourself no matter what shape and size you are NOW.... I am 5 feet 9 inches, and I weight 275. I am fat..... But I love myself for the "who" I am, not the shape I am. I know that I need to lose weight, I'd feel better, be less tired, etc. I will lose it, when I am ready, until then I will appreciate the body that God has given me and dress it as well as I can! :)
    emnasmom

Answer by emnasmom at 1:20 PM on Oct. 7, 2009

• I'm a large woman, but it is my butt and belly that are big. My breasts are also large.
    At most stores I can wear a size 20 pants and a 2x top, but I noticed that a lot of tops are made for elderly women or shorter women. I like long tops to hide my belly bulge and my butt, too. I know it doesn't make me slimmer, but I feel "naked" when my top is too short. I also have to get a larger top to accommodate my breast size and the width of my shoulders.
    I love to shop at a store called Catherine's, which is a plus-sized ladies clothing store, but a bit pricier and better quality clothing than the other retail stores. Their sizes tend to run larger so I can wear a size 18 pants and a 1x top. I love shopping there when I have extra money!
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 1:52 PM on Oct. 7, 2009