When my 16 month old doesn't get his way, he hits or slaps us. How can I get him to stop?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:50 AM on Jun. 24, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Children learn by example when they are that young. The way they see you react in a situation will be copied.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:20 AM on Jun. 24, 2008

• They love to watch your reaction.  If you react, even with a mean scowl, they will continue to act up, throw food, or whatever it is they do.  Good reactions and bad ractions give toddlers attention.  When my son pulled my hair, bit me, or slapped my arms, I set him down and walked away.  He would throw a tantrum, but he learned that mommy is not going to put up with it.  Within a week, less even, he stopped.  Now and then, ti comesback, but not like before.   Good luck!
    SpiderLizz

Answer by SpiderLizz at 10:41 AM on Jun. 24, 2008

• I would check out a homeopathic doctor for your son. The have remedies that might help with that behavior issue and it's all natural. Eileen
    EileenMarie

Answer by EileenMarie at 1:24 PM on Jun. 24, 2008

• I went through this for a while and I NEVER slapped my daughter so she didn't learn it from seeing it. She grew out of it when she saw we didn't think it was funny.
    momto1727

Answer by momto1727 at 3:09 PM on Jun. 24, 2008

• The way you deal it is 100% up to you. Some parents hit the hand and say "NO" some sit the child down and try to explain that what he/she is doing isn't acceptable.

One thing you do need to do, is understand WHY a toddler throws fits and slaps. How his nervous system works at this age. He is frustrated b/c he isn't getting his way, he chose slapping as the act of expressing himself.

Either way you choose, you and your spouse need to be consistent all day every day, or it won't do any good.
    newmommyy322

Answer by newmommyy322 at 4:52 PM on Jun. 24, 2008

• Hello i have a 17 Mo. old and i go through the ame thing its hard but dont be scared to spank them or tap there hand when they do it and always teach them to do nice and kiss you hug you to say sorry . my son already knows "the eyes" when he slaps me i get a pig kiss and hug without saying a word
    just always be stern
    fwatts4591

Answer by fwatts4591 at 7:52 PM on Jun. 24, 2008

• Hi - I was in the supermarket the other day, and my little girl (20 months) had unwrapped a lot of sweets off the counter without me seeing, then had a fit when I told her off - and threw them across the shop. I gently slapped her hand - and said 'No' and a woman rushed over and screamed at me 'YOU DON'T HIT BABIES!" - we got in a huge row, I really tried not to, and now am petrified, she threatened to report me, I was so shaken up by the whole thing. My little girl is such a happy thing - it's so rare when she has a temper tantrum.
    Goodnhappy

Answer by Goodnhappy at 7:28 AM on May. 1, 2009