Why is it uncommon for your water to break with your first baby?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:34 PM on Oct. 7, 2009 in Pregnancy

• is not only your fist only about 10% of woman break their water on their own. my sister broke water with her first but no her second. my mom broke water with her first 2 but not her last. i broke my wayer with mysecond but not my first. everywoman is different. is not about first second or third baby
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 12:41 PM on Oct. 7, 2009

• i guess you mean to break before you go into labor because i don't think it is uncommon for it to not break at all before baby is born. baby can be born without the water breaking but i think usually it does break before baby is born.

i thought it was just uncommon in general for your water to break before labor, nevermind if it's your first or 2nd or whatever...? so i'm interested to see what answers you get because i didn't know that it was more uncommon for the first. ?

:)
    Anonymous

• Answered at 12:41 PM on Oct. 7, 2009 by:

* piwife

piwif...
    is not only your fist only about 10% of woman break their water on their own. my sister broke water with her first but no her second. my mom broke water with her first 2 but not her last. i broke my wayer with mysecond but not my first. everywoman is different. is not about first second or third baby

im anon again, and i'm wondering again if both of you ladies mean to break water before labor because i'm pretty sure usually the water would break on its own before birth (if the OB doesn't go on and do it first)
    Anonymous

• I don't think it is uncommon. Almost everyone's water breaks before labor or during labor. I tried to find some stats but couldn't find much. In 8-10% of all women the water breaks before labor.

I had a baby born with his bag. We say he rode the wave. It's actually called being born in the caul. According to Wikipedia it's rare happening only in 1 in a 1000 births. I think that's because doctor's and midwives break the bag. I had a friend who was an OB resident. One of the OB docs offered $100 for any baby delivered in the caul. Surprise surprise, there was a whole bunch of babies being born in the caul at that hospital.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 12:51 PM on Oct. 7, 2009

• My water broke all on it's own with my first child.
    Anonymous

• Most womens water would break on its own sometime during labor, but if it doesn't the baby can be born in the caul and that is considered good luck in some cultures. Only 10% of woman's water breaks before labor so that is not common at all.
    There is no reason at all to have a doctor or midwife break the bag of water during labor, there is no proof at all that it speeds labor and it is not risk free at all.
    With both my babies the water broke on its own right before pushing.
    Cynthje

Answer by Cynthje at 1:45 PM on Oct. 7, 2009