daycare vs a nanny

I am a work from home mom and need help for 1 to 2 whole days a week and I'm on the fence wheither I want to put my baby in daycare or hire a nanny. In my area, the price is similar for both options, but I'm more worried about him getting sick, since he had a RSV at 2 months old (he's now 10 months) and suffers from multiple food allergies. Any thoughts?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:43 PM on Oct. 7, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I think if they are they same cost that I would just hire a nanny. That way you will reduce sickeness and your baby will get her undivided attention. That just my thought ;)
    Anonymous

• Nanny!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 12:48 PM on Oct. 7, 2009

• I think a daycare is a better option for a child, a nanny is just a babysitter, a daycare is a learning environment and your son is getting older and will like the social aspect of daycare. 1 or 2 days a week is perfect... I can understand why people wouldn't want to do it 5 full days a week, but 1 or 2 days is nice... you could start him with a nanny, but by the time he is 1.5-2 he's going to need some more stimulation I would think and you don't want to have to start him at daycare then...

He will, however, get sick, all kids do no matter when they start a school environment... I don't know what RSV is though... as for food allergies, most daycare/preschools absolutely accomodate for that. Both of my kid's classes are peanut free, for example.

Also, I prefer all the checks and balances of a daycare, I think my kids are safer than putting trust into just one human being, if that makes sense...
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 12:49 PM on Oct. 7, 2009

• If the price is the same, you are lucky. Where I am, nannies are much more expensive! I have done both, and here are some things I thought were relevant to consider: 1. If the nanny gets sick, you most likely won't have childcare. 2. Your child WILL get sick more in daycare. 3. It may be easier to check the quality of care at a daycare than from an individual (though some nannies belong to nanny websites or nanny organizations that run background checks and have specified standards of care). 3. Sometimes you can get a secure, live video feed from a daycare, and can keep an eye on your chid that way. 4. If you have any parenting ideas that are different from mainstream society, (like cloth diapering, vegetarianism, etc), a nanny might accommodate those better than a daycare. Good luck! I would say the quality of the specific nanny or daycare might be a more important thing to look at than comparing nannies and daycares in gen.
    FelipesMom

Answer by FelipesMom at 12:51 PM on Oct. 7, 2009

• For me, I would never even consider a daycare. With a nanny, especially if working out of your own home, you would get to see your baby whenever you needed to. The child would also have the security of being in his own home, taking naps in his own bed. At age 10 months, there is absolutely no benefit to a "learning environment." A caring nanny can provide one-on-one attention, and can really get to know your child, as opposed to a day care which often has a high turnover rate for employees. Plus you never have to worry about ratio.
    squish

Answer by squish at 1:17 PM on Oct. 7, 2009

• If the price is similar for both I would with the Nanny option. Kids in daycare get sick a lot, I wouldn't recommend it for anyone, let alone a baby that had RSV. Plus with the Nanny you can keep an eye on things and see your baby whenever you want to.
    Anonymous

• day care. more interaction and structure.
    charisma10

Answer by charisma10 at 1:58 PM on Oct. 7, 2009

• nanny it is. I felt like I wanted a nanny but I was trying to convince myself about daycare...but he's still so small. Maybe when he'll be 1.5 or 2...thanks for helping!
    Anonymous