How do I convince my 2 year old to use the toilet (permanently)

My 2 year old knows exactly what to do for toilet training... you could say she is trained, but she CHOOSES not to go on the toilet. She prefers going in her diaper. I would rather not force or bribe or coerce her to use the toilet, but I would like to find a way for her to change her mind on the matter.

I bought her Dora panties... which she is excited about, and we talked about what needs to happen for her to use them... but whenever I ask her if she wants to use the toilet, she says no and runs away. Any suggestions?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:07 PM on Oct. 7, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My daughter is doing the same thing to me at home, but her 2 days spent at day care are flawless about using the potty. My day car provider told me not to force the issue because then it becomes a battle of wills, just to get excited when she does go, but not to push the issue too much, she said that she will decide on her own just to do it. I dunno, i am at my wits end so I am taking her advice since she has 3 kids of her own that are grown and she has been doing child care for 19+ years...worth a shot right?? =-)
    Anonymous

• Despite the fact that she "knows" what to do, she may just not be really ready yet. There's a saying, "you can start when they're two and they'll be trained at 3 or wait till they're three and they'll be trained at three".

Don't push it. Continue to offer her the choice: underpants or potty as well as giving her opportunities to use the potty. If she wants to, great, if not, that's ok too.

My twins are almost three and not trained yet. We've had off and on interest but until very recently, neither of them was really ready to train. I'd much rather do it when they're ready so it's less work for me than to try sooner and make more work for myself.
    twinclubmom

Answer by twinclubmom at 1:19 PM on Oct. 7, 2009

• I totally agree with both of you because I definitely don't want to force it. It would be a lot of work for me to take her to the toilet several times a day, but I figure that I could do that at certain times of the day just to get her used to being on the pot and not forgetting that it is still an option... but not putting pressure on it.
    SummerBug

Answer by SummerBug at 1:34 PM on Oct. 7, 2009

• I'd recommend getting rid of the diapers to encourage her to use the potty. Mine was doing poorly at day care but great at home when she was in panties. Sent her to day care with just panties and she did great.
    Anonymous