Is this safe!

Okay my daughter has a guinea pig an i have read every where that you should not use red ceadar bedding cause it causes all kinds of problems for them but i know people that says it's fine, an they use it so i was wondering if anyone uses it or has had any experience with this issue!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:15 PM on Oct. 7, 2009 in Pets

• Cedar bedding is toxic to small animals. It can cause a laundry list of problems and is NOT safe to use as bedding (the exception being dog beds as a natural flea repellent). Health risks aside, think of how potent the smell is and how sensitive your poor little guinea pigs nose is! It is an irritant to their sinuses.

As for people who insist on using it....let's make a comparison. I know people who have smoked their whole lives and never got cancer, does that make cigarettes safe? Nope, makes those people lucky. Since most people don't get annual checkups for their guinea pigs and hamsters and the little guys have fairly short lifespans anyway most people don't really know how healthy/unhealthy their pets are or what ultimately causes their deaths. They are "replaceable" pets most people don't take their health seriously like they would a cat or dog. Sorry to rant...kind of a pet peeve of mine.
    Slinkee

Answer by Slinkee at 1:21 PM on Oct. 7, 2009

• I completely agree with the first poster. Use carefresh bedding or I always just put newspaper down and replaced it daily.
    Carajust

Answer by Carajust at 1:23 PM on Oct. 7, 2009

• I also agree. You can use Aspen shavings. It doesn't have the oils in it that cedar and pine do.
    CollinBayleeMom

Answer by CollinBayleeMom at 2:36 PM on Oct. 7, 2009

• I dunno so much about guinea pigs but I had a rat that I kept in cedar as a teen and he got lung disease from it. It was very sad. :0(
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 8:42 PM on Oct. 7, 2009