dr perscribed sudafed to my 43 lb. daughter, the dosage is 3 tsp. 2times a day isnt that to much?

kimmie2003112

Asked by kimmie2003112 at 1:19 PM on Oct. 7, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• What does the bottle or insert say? That is a question for the doctor or pharmacy people.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 1:22 PM on Oct. 7, 2009

• Please call and verify the dosage, either your doc or the pharmacy...... they actually do make mistakes from time to time, and that sounds like a little much. My daughter was overdosed with Robitussin with codiene when she was 21 mos old, the rx was written with a dose for a 4 to 6 y/o! She went into respiritory depression and stopped breathing in her sleep, thankfully, I co slept with her....... when i took her ti the ER, they blamed me until they looked in the cpu and saw what she was actually prescribed. Anyways, its worth the phone call to double check the dosage, I always recommend double checking, especially if you think it may be too much.
    SuperMomof3kids

Answer by SuperMomof3kids at 1:29 PM on Oct. 7, 2009

• I always question my pharmacist with any doses perscribed. They will take into account all the ingredients based upon the weight...I'd call them instead of the doc.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 1:44 PM on Oct. 7, 2009

• It would depend on the medication. Check the packaging/insert. If it was OTC stuff I would think that would be a lot. My kids have only ever had OTC meds and the dosage is usually 1tsp for 4-5 year olds (which is where 43lbs usually falls...I know because my 9yo is 45lbs and hates that she has the dosage for a 4yo, lol). Some medicines geared towards kids the dosage is 2 tsp.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 3:43 PM on Oct. 7, 2009

• We're not doctors or pharmacists...and if we were, the answer would be to contact your local pharmacist or own doctor because of potential legal issues.

Call your doctor and verify the dosage.
    Anonymous

• If you have a question with what the doctor ordered you need to talk to the doctor. We are not doctors and do NOT know why the doctor prescribed what and how he did. You can also call a pharmacy and ask them. If you are not comfortable with a dosage then DON"T give it to your child.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:32 PM on Oct. 7, 2009