my son wants me to constantly hold him!

my 20 month old son wants me to constantly hold him. if i try to clean the house he follows me crying or just cries if i am not right by his side! its not as bad in the afternoon when his 4 yr old brother gets home but he still wants my constant attention, i am a stay at home mom and he is with me all day everyday! i recently put him in daycare once a week and she says he doesnt do that there that he plays and plays with the other kids! today i sat down and had some us time we did blocks read a book and ate lunch then i needed to do some stuff so when i got up it was the fits again! please help!

cortneydmorris

Asked by cortneydmorris at 1:22 PM on Oct. 7, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• That the way a lot of toddlers are. Invest in or make your own sling or toddler carrier. Day care may be making things worse. If you have to be away home child care with a mom that only has a couple of kids in the home may be much better. It would be great if you could find someone willing to hold him while you are gone.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 1:27 PM on Oct. 7, 2009

• Kids are like elastic bands when it comes to independance/separation anxiety. It was at that age that my twins went through that phase when all they wanted was mommy.

You have a couple of options:
    1. Let him be your helper. Give him a rag to clean with and let him follow you.
    2. Play with him and then say "ok, mommy has to go do X" go do X then come back to play some more and praise him for being good while you were gone.

Owl Babies is a great book that deals with separation anxiety as well.
    Hang in there, it'll get better.
    twinclubmom

Answer by twinclubmom at 1:28 PM on Oct. 7, 2009

• Also, give him his own little "chores" to do. Have him pick up all his "trucks" or "cars" or some other set of toys and put them in their assigned spot. Have him do this while you do your chore you wanted to get done. Tell him it's work/race time and you wanna see if he can get his done before you get yours done. Keep giving him little things to do like that. He'll learn to pick up things(maybe not exactly like you like it, but it will be done at least) and you will have him not clinging to your side and he'll think it's all a game.
    mom2BOYZnDad

Answer by mom2BOYZnDad at 1:41 PM on Oct. 7, 2009