How do I clean my pillow top mattress???

Ok I have an issue, I have a Pillow Top Mattress and i think it is time for it to get cleaned. There are a few stains on it from when my now 10 moth old was a newborn and he would throw up, a juice stain from my daughters' sippy cup that my husband did not screw on right, and not to mention a slight Oder from the stench of cigarettes that emits from my husbands clothing when he lays on the bed. I can't just go and douse it with water and soap to clean it because then it will never get dry. I was wondering how do you clean it, I also want to get the possibility of bed bugs out if there is any. Oh and another thing what type of sheets do I use for this thing because the ones I am using are lousy and they refuse to stay on due to the puffiness of the bed itself. Can someone please help me with my dilemma?

niekitta

Asked by niekitta at 1:25 PM on Oct. 7, 2009 in Home & Garden

• I hit mine with the steam cleaner a few times a year. As for the sheets just look for some that are labeled "deep pocket", if it's a REALLY poofy mattress you're probably going to have buy high-end sheets that usually have their mattress heights listed on the packaging. Oh, and those little sheet suspenders that some places sell to hold the fitted sheet down don't work worth a fart.
    Slinkee

Answer by Slinkee at 1:31 PM on Oct. 7, 2009

• I also have a pillow top mattress...I use the attachments on my carpet cleaner to clean mine, it does still take a while for it to dry, but I always clean mine as soon as we get up so it will be dry by the time we go back to sleep... As far as sheets go, mine is a queen size and I use king size sheets and tuck them under. You could probably special order ones for it, but I found it easier to just use bigger ones because you can buy them anywhere. For the bed bugs, the carpet cleaner would probably suck them out, but I have heard of spray you can get for them. If you don't have a carpet cleaner you can rent rug doctors at the grocery store for about $35.

BlainesMommy09

Answer by BlainesMommy09 at 1:34 PM on Oct. 7, 2009

• I wonder if there is a mattress cover that would work for your mattress. I just have a regular mattress. I have it topped with a plastic mattress cover, and then a mattress pad. Anything that spills can't get to the mattress.

Answer by Bmat at 3:14 PM on Oct. 7, 2009