39 weeks and no contractions....

I am 39 weeks and I was having BH but now I'm not having any type of contraction. I feel like I'm PMSing and having menstrual type cramps (is that contractions?) my lower back hurts my hips hurt and I feel like I should be in labor but nothing. I had an appointment 3 days ago and I am not dilating, the doctor did do a membrane scrap though and the baby is head down and ready to go... the doctor felt his head when he did the scrap.
I have not lost my mucus plug unless the doctor took it out. Along with the pms cramps I have very soft bowel movements and my vagina is so SORE the other day I couldn't walk it hurt so bad. (sorry TMI)
Has anyone else experienced this and did you go past your due date?
This is my first and I have no idea what to expect or what I should be experiencing and the doctor doesn't answer my questions and family and friends are no help hahaha.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:32 PM on Oct. 7, 2009 in Pregnancy

• All of that means labor is coming. Be patient with your body. A full term pregnancy is anywhere from 37 to 42 weeks, so give yourself time, but you're getting closer! It could be any day now!
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 1:34 PM on Oct. 7, 2009

• Sounds like you are getting ready. Don't let the whole plug thing bother you because not everyone actually sees one. I have four kids and never saw a plug at all. And it rarely comes out in one nice piece. Often you lose it a little at a time. Not much longer now. You may be having back labor so if your back pain doesn't get much better get checked. Cramps are cramps not really contractions. Trust me you will know a contraction when it hits you. You'll have to stop what you're doing and breathe. Similar to cramps, but a bit more intense.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 1:53 PM on Oct. 7, 2009

• I went into labor naturally at 42w 2d and until I woke up in labor, I had NO signs AT ALL! No contractions, no plug, no blood, no loose stool....nothing.
    ma2b08

Answer by ma2b08 at 2:15 PM on Oct. 7, 2009

• since this is your first, you should be expecting to go past your "due" date. the due date is the midpoint of normal, with normal being between 38 and 42 weeks. but for first timers, 41 and even 42 is more likely than 40 :)

your body sounds like it is getting ready. i didn't dilate until after 40 weeks. my son was born at 41 weeks. i also had my membranes stripped at around 40.5 weeks, without being told what they were doing first!

that's not good that your doctor doesn't answer your questions well. i would say switch...well maybe for your next baby :)

good luck and hang in there you could have 3 weeks left!
    Stefanie83

Answer by Stefanie83 at 3:29 PM on Oct. 7, 2009

• i meant to say also that i never had contractions at all until the day i went into labor. the night before, i did feel very crampy all night like the menstrual-like crampiness you are talking about.
    Stefanie83

Answer by Stefanie83 at 3:30 PM on Oct. 7, 2009

• Well i was 1cm dialated at 38 weeks and didnt have my DD untill 41 weeks and three days.. I experienced everything you did but she was so low i thought i was gonna have her early. I never had contractions and was scheduled to be induced the 23 my water did end up breaking the 19th but i never had contractions and was not dialated until they induced me to start everything. So even thought your not contracting you may never really contract or you might not untill the day you really go into labor.. First time babies are almost always late so hang in there a little longer..
    kelsbug05

Answer by kelsbug05 at 11:41 PM on Oct. 8, 2009