Do you give your dog those flea/heartworm meds every month?

I've missed a couple of months on mine how would I know if the dog is ok or not, I know for sure she doesn't have any fleas and I cannot get to the vet right now.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:33 PM on Oct. 7, 2009 in Pets

• preventing heartworms is nothing to play around with...put in a call to your vet, keep up with the monthly meds....if your vet thinks there may be a chance that your dog was exposed to heartworms, they may feel it's necessary to bring it in for bloodwork. I seem to remember they are passed by mosquitoes.
    daisy521

Answer by daisy521 at 1:36 PM on Oct. 7, 2009

• Heartworms every month, flea only during spring-fall timeframe...And the treatment for heartworms costs thousands, the pet is caged for up to 8 weeks and cannot be let out to run, the meds are arsenic. I'd call the vet and get tested.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 1:38 PM on Oct. 7, 2009

• no
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 1:42 PM on Oct. 7, 2009

• I have 3 dogs. I don't put any chemicals on them. I've pulled ticks off each of them and test them for lyme/heartworm every year. They test negative. Heartworm meds are not foolproof. I used to treat my prior dog for it, she got it anyway. Treatment for it is $500, not thousands.
    EireLass

Answer by EireLass at 1:47 PM on Oct. 7, 2009

• Yes, I do. Heartworms can kill a dog, and the little bit I spend every month is well worth the peace of mind.
    Dawn4175

Answer by Dawn4175 at 2:10 PM on Oct. 7, 2009

• To EireLass: I thought that if your (general) dog gets heartworm while on the preventative, the company (HeartGuard for instance) HAS to pay for treatment??

I'd rather pay $85 every six months (2 dogs) as prevention than have to have my dogs put to sleep (yeah, my dh is cruel...he'd have them put to sleep before he'd pay to have them treated for heartworm...he works, I don't so moneywise most things are his decision). My dogs stay on heartworm preventative all year, but only get treated with flea/tick preventative if we start to see a problem with fleas/ticks. So far we've been lucky and fleas/ticks haven't been too much of a problem in the 3.5 yrs we've had dogs. So, I put it on them maybe once or twice a year.
    CollinBayleeMom

Answer by CollinBayleeMom at 2:33 PM on Oct. 7, 2009

• To CollinBayleeMom: Nope. If you read the box, and listen to your vet, they will tell you it "helps" in the prevention. The disclaimer prevents liability. Same with vaccinations. It's only a hope, none of it is a gaurantee.
    My female was on the monthly med, got heartworm, had her treated, and lived 7 more years. I put her down when she was 16, as I was unable to carry her up the stairs anymore (at 75 pounds).
    I manage a dog kennel, and don't seem to bring any fleas home. If i started to see fleas, I'd opt to bath them quick in Dawn dish soap....for 99cents a bottle, which would kill the fleas/eggs and we'd be done. What chemicals I'd be putting on with Dawn, would also be quickly washed off.
    Ticks...heartworm...we hike every week, we've all pulled ticks off of us/dogs. The INFECTED tick has to be on for 36-48 hours for it to infect the body. I'm very hands on, pull them off quick. Nobody has lyme.
    EireLass

Answer by EireLass at 2:39 PM on Oct. 7, 2009

• yes I do.

Plus i agree that heart worms are nothing to mess around with...Yes it can be treated but that is so much more expensive than prevention. Not to mention the risk of doing the treatment to the dog. Heartworm prevention is very very very effective. Plus if your pet has been on the Heartgard product for 6 months or more and comes up as HW pos. then the company will PAY for the treatment! Even if the stuff wasn't very effective the guarantee (7 paragraph 'Your satisfaction with HEARTGARD Plus is guaranteed when used as directed by your veterinarian.' ) alone is enough to go ahead and use it! 

But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 3:52 PM on Oct. 7, 2009

• It will be ok if you miss a dose or two. Go ahead and start your dog back on the medication. When you can get the medication from your vet do so and then give it and the next 28 days give the next dose. I have missed them before. Dogs can get infected summer,winter,fall and spring. Even though you can't see fleas they do have them. You carry fleas on your shoes and being them into your home.

Good Luck,

Dog lover
    Butterfly241

Answer by Butterfly241 at 4:23 PM on Oct. 7, 2009

• You don't really have to have your dog have a blood test. If it has only been a few months just call the Vet and get your dog started back on the heart worm meds. You need to give the medication all year round. Do not take a chance on your loved one getting sick! You need to make sure the flea medication is given at least till the first hard frost. Then start it back around March or April.
    Butterfly241

Answer by Butterfly241 at 4:28 PM on Oct. 7, 2009