Does anyone know the guidelines on canned goods?

My DD just had her 3rd child. Unemployment is plentiful here! Like She's jobless as am I & my DH. She went to get some free food. Which is very Useful. My DH & I never have yet. But any way, much of the tomato products & canned goods are very dented! And many have expiration dates of 2007 or earlier. I'm thinking they're no good? Is there any guidelines you may know about? Thank you for your time!

Angellinda

Asked by Angellinda at 1:47 PM on Oct. 7, 2009 in Food & Drink

• if you got it from a food bank or church take it back. it's okay if it's dented, but if it's expired do not eat it.
    mandielynn23

Answer by mandielynn23 at 1:59 PM on Oct. 7, 2009

• I would be careful, however with dented cans put it on it's side, put your thumbs on either side and press. it should not pop, or dent in. If it does it's a no go there is air inside. With expiration dates be careful. Mushrooms and green beans are low acid, tomatos are high acid. High acid foods keep better. I can see 6 months out of date, but 2 years I would probably pitch it. I have eaten out of dented cans for years I just check to see if there is air in them. Obviously cans that leak are a no go. Google scratch and dent and your cities name. These are discounted groceries. Also you may want to call area churches, united way and sign up for all free food. Talk to people in line and they can really give you an education on where to find the free stuff. Finding the stuff is half the battle. Good Luck ! Oh in some places meals on wheels sells their surplus food, check that out!
    SEEKEROFSHELLS

Answer by SEEKEROFSHELLS at 2:04 PM on Oct. 7, 2009

• Check this out for safety on dented cans:

http://www.foodlinkny.org/pdfs/Can%20safety%20handout.pdf

and if its past a few months expired i would take it back and let them know. Maybe thye don't realize it.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 2:11 PM on Oct. 7, 2009

• YES--check the dented cans like mandielynn23 said but the expired stuff should fine-- when she is going to use it open it and smell it, if it smells bad or look weird then toss it. But I have been really broke and the other day I made browines from a mix with a use by date of 2002 and we have been eating meat out of the bottom of the freezer from 2007 it, i have used old food before and never have gotten sick.
    And you can not take food back to a food shelf---at least the food shelf i was to before you sign a waiver that you take the food in "as is condition".
    blue_glass_mama

Answer by blue_glass_mama at 3:08 PM on Oct. 7, 2009