Breastfeeding two kids at once?

Regrettably I stopped breastfeeding my son at 9 months. Now he's just turned 1 and his sister is due in 2 weeks. What are the pros and cons of going back to breastfeeding him as well as her? Has anyone else done this? Should I just put some pumped milk in his sippy cup? He is showing intrest lately I think because he can smell the colstrum.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:00 PM on Oct. 7, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• It's great you want to nurse him. He will continue to get the benefits of breastfeeding. The World Health Organization recommends a minimum of breastfeeding for 2 years!

He will remember how to breastfeed and you can breastfeed both of them. Your body will adjust and make enough milk for both. The milk will be what's best for the youngest child. I used to wonder if your body made the kind of milk for a baby or for a toddler since it's different. They now know it's the baby kind of milk.

I nursed two and the only problem I had in the early weeks was too much milk! There are lots of ways of nursing two. I would only nurse the oldest if the baby was already nursing. That way I didn't resent taking extra time to nurse him.

Mothering Magazine discussion boards has lots of bf tandem nursing moms.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 2:26 PM on Oct. 7, 2009

• Ok the ship has sailed. Why on Earth would you start breastfeeding again when your son is weened? If you must put it in a cup.
    Anonymous

• Oh I don't know, I had heard something about it being better for him....
    Anonymous

Because there's nothing wrong with nursing a one year old!!! Personally, I would be exhausted trying to nurse two at one time, but I know women who have done it. You can try it and if it doesn't work out, you can always give him your milk in a cup, and he's still getting all the good stuff.
    Bethsunshine

Answer by Bethsunshine at 2:11 PM on Oct. 7, 2009

• I wouldn't. not with him being a year old, because then you could be starting him on whole milk. But if you see that it is fit for your son then go ahead! :) Every mom is different. Just make sure your little one that NEEDS the breast milk is getting enough before giving any to your son,
    Zacherysmommy08

Answer by Zacherysmommy08 at 2:11 PM on Oct. 7, 2009

• LOL. Love the second comment. Honestly, you're probably going to have to put it in a cup simply because he probably won't remember how to latch. I'm not saying don't try. I was going to do the same. My 14 month old stopped nursing, and forgot how to when my milk came back after delivery of her new baby sister. She really wanted to, but couldn't remember how and coordinate it. Nursing is a completely different skill set than sucking a bottle or using a sippy cup. They use different muscles.

But by all means, let him try (many ask anyway, and few do unless they nursed through the entire pregnancy). And put it in a cup for him, too. Check out Adventures in Tandem Nursing for some thoughts and ideas. Hopefully he will not have forgotten. I wasn't prepared for her forgetting, so I mention it just in case. If you're comfortable with it, that's all that matters.
    apexmommy

Answer by apexmommy at 2:13 PM on Oct. 7, 2009

• Some people breastfeed because it's good for them, not to pass the time until they can give whole milk. Read the carton of whole milk. It's completely different than breastmilk and formula.
    apexmommy

Answer by apexmommy at 2:14 PM on Oct. 7, 2009

• The chemical make up of your milk is for that of a newborn, not for a toddler.

If you want to, sure go ahead. Just be sure the baby is getting all it needs and the toddler isn't taking from that. You're not going to make enough right off the bat for both of them....keep that in mind.

Good luck.
    Anonymous

• To the person who said he should be on whole milk, cow's milk is for baby cows. Human milk is for human children. They continue to get benefits as long as they breastfeed. The longer they breastfeed the better for brain growth and development (cows aren't very smart). Human milk is living and contains white blood cells, immune globulin A, lysozyme and other good things to prevent and fight infections like swine flu.

Put it in a cup? Why in the world? Why go through all the effort of pumping and expressing when the child is supposed to be feeding at the breast. BreastFEEDING helps facial and jaw development. It helps with speech development. Breastfeeding is a process, it's not just about the milk. Kids are supposed to be breastFED.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 2:33 PM on Oct. 7, 2009

• You should read "Adventures in Tandem Nursing."

"The chemical make up of your milk is for that of a newborn, not for a toddler.
    If you want to, sure go ahead. Just be sure the baby is getting all it needs and the toddler isn't taking from that. You're not going to make enough right off the bat for both of them....keep that in mind."

Yes, she will; nursing is a supply and demand system. I tandem (as in they nursed together) nursed my newborn and toddler and had no supply issues. You should read the book I recommended.

"I wouldn't. not with him being a year old, because then you could be starting him on whole milk. "

Could you explain why you believe that the milk of another species is better than the milk of the child's mother? No one "needs" cows milk; even without human milk, there are better absorbed sources of protein and vitamins.

happytexasCM

Answer by happytexasCM at 2:36 PM on Oct. 7, 2009