What is normal "terrible 2" behavior?

My son has been in his terrible 2 for about 6 months now. He'll be 2 in 2 months. Recently he has started throwing MAJOR fits. Bigger than usual. He'll scream a high pitched blood curtling scream, pinches, bites, falls to the floor kicking and screaming. What has caused my concern it he is starting to do it for no reason. He was eating dinner last night and about middle of dinner he started his fit for no reason. It lasted a good 30 mins before he finally calmed down. He'll cry in the car the whole trip and nothing makes him happy. My husband and I started ignoring it but he'll still scream for a good 30-45 mins. I want to know if this is normal terrible 2 behavior. Someone asked me if there was something wrong with him so now I am really concerned.

JFER5

Asked by JFER5 at 2:12 PM on Oct. 7, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Anything that makes you cringe in disbelief and/or scratch your head in confusion is pretty typical 2 year old behavior.
    Anonymous

• Whoever asked you if there is something wrong with him is a moron, and there is something wrong with them. He is being a typical 2 year old. As I read your post I was grinning and nodding my head...my 2 1/2 daughter does much of the SAME behaviors. It's a phase...this too shall pass. Until it does just do what you can to stay calm and deal with the things he does in a way that does not allow him to get his way. Best of luck sweetheart....it will get better. AND THERE IS ABSOLUTELY NOTHING WRONG WITH HIM....trust me.
    MansfieldMomma

Answer by MansfieldMomma at 2:17 PM on Oct. 7, 2009

• lol
    sounds like my daughter
    and yes, people have asked when in publc :what is WRONG with her?"
    I answered them..."she is two"
    my daughter is 2 and 2 months, and I have seen some improvement
    when she fits, we try to ignore, as long as she is safe, she bangs her head-and that too has improved some, her dad was a head banger and his mom says he was much worse, so I try to take comfort in that and I say to myself when she is this why.."she will grow up to be a very strong woman"
    I really do not know this to be true but anything to get through the fits

hang in there, it will get better as he is able to communicate more about what is bugging him, nad yes sometimes you can not imagine anything could be bugging him, but they have their own little world and anything can set them off
    boredmom44

Answer by boredmom44 at 2:22 PM on Oct. 7, 2009

• my son is 17 months old and has similar behavior going on! I'm a first time mom, but from what I have read and heard from other parents, this is all normal behavior for that age. even the slightest thing might set them off, and since they cant rationalize their emotions, all they can do is throw a fit lol as the others have written, do what you can do calm yourself down. if he is screaming in the car and you cant take it anymore, be on the safe side and pull over or drive into a parking lot. even though he might not understand, if he is angry, tell him "you are ANGRY!" if you match emotion with words, he will communicate better when he's ready. when my son freaks out and is angry, when i tell him, YOU ARE ANGRY, it seems to calm him down! it can be very tiring, but it won't last mama :)
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 2:39 PM on Oct. 7, 2009

• MY niece used to throw fits like that if we put her ketchup on wrong - but yeah, my son throws these type of fits too - the only one that would make me concerned is the one where it happened for no reason but then again , I am a first time mom of a 23 month old and so far, he's surprised me in EVERY area with what he's capable of and what sets him off!! I am SURE its just phases. Does he have good communication skills or good enough to talk to you? We started putting my son in his room when he goes on these "fits" or whining episodes... he's been a tough one all around so yeah, that has seemed to help a bit.
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 2:50 PM on Oct. 7, 2009

• I'm also a first time mom, and Dd is 2 1/2, just yesterday we were at the store and they have these ball machines, you put like a quarter and it gives you a ball, well Dd decides she wanted one, mind you she has plenty of balls at home, so I said no, god she threw herself on the floor, started screaming like crazy, call me a "meanie" and "mommy you don't listen to me" I was like, "No I won't listen to you if you act that way" "now you definetely are not getting a ball" while all this was happening, I felt my face getting red (thank god I'm dark-skinned :-) and I wanted to grab her and leave but I was so close to the cash register, people were just looking at me, the only thing I said was "she is two" and I really really hope this phase ends soon, good luck, just think that you are not the only one.
    cholita1978

Answer by cholita1978 at 10:46 AM on Oct. 8, 2009

• Fortunately, my daughter's tantrums are really short (2 minutes max). What's helped me is doing the hula-duck dance from Ni-hao Kai-lan. I get down on her level, back to my chest, reach my arms around and take her arms and do the hula dance (wave the arms up and down one side 2x, then the other side 2x) and as I do this, I say, "side to side... side to side..."

I know I look nuts doing it, but it calms her down SOOOOO fast. She even starts saying it with me. I think she's got a bit of her dad's ADD because I can distract her with things she likes by saying stuff like "what does perry the platypus say?" and she'll do the chattering sound and has forgotten why she's upset. Once she does calm down, I do try to give her the words she's looking for and assure her things are ok, like "I know you want to stay here at the library with the books, but if we don't go, you can't read the books with daddy."
    Cenchan

Answer by Cenchan at 4:38 AM on Oct. 9, 2009