how do I give my 3 y/o more responsibility?

ds won't even get dressed without at least asking for help. he will throw a tantrum if I say no. what can I do? also we have a spot for shoe and his coat but they never make it there so he can never find them when its time to leave.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:15 PM on Oct. 7, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Get up and start getting ready earlier so there is time for him to throw his tantrums and fits...do NOT give in. He has been catered to for too long and now it is expected, so you are going to have to be firm and consistent. Make a chart so he has a visual aide to show him how he is doing with his "responsibilities" each day. Eventually he will get tired of having meltdowns when he does not get his way and will realize that he needs to do things for himself.
    Anonymous

• I agree with anon
    wake up early to give him time to throw his fits. Do NOT give in. Let him throw his fits in a safe place but do not talk to him until he has calmed down.
    And i think a chart is a good idea too. I give my boys stickers on their chart. :)
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 2:25 PM on Oct. 7, 2009

• I agree with the two posters.

A chart is a great way, as a reward for doing things himself. BIG BOY stickers or something. Only when he does them, can he put the sticker on the chart on the correct day..when done and he can place the sticker there...ALL by himself!

Give him high 5's...etc.....

Good luck!
    Anonymous

• If you know he can get dressed on his own. Put his cloth on the bed and tell him to get dressed. Then leave the room. If he act up.  Leaves his room with out getting dressed. Bring him back to his room and tell him he will stay in his room tell he gets dressed. You have to stay on him about his shoes a coat. If you know he didn't put them where they are suppose to be, tell him to go put them away.

Answer by louise2 at 2:30 PM on Oct. 7, 2009

• give a sticker sheet.. when he/she puts there things in the right place or ask for help they get a sticker.. and when they get a specific amount, they will recieve an award for it! ((it works)) =>)
    Linsigirl26

Answer by Linsigirl26 at 7:03 PM on Oct. 8, 2009