Alimentum or nutramigen(sp?) I really need some advise. Please answer!

My DS is 5 weeks old and is on soy right now. I had switched him after his pedi appt and doc suggested to try soy. He is very fussy most of the time, alot of gas, VERY loose bowels(Several times a day at least 5), spits up ALL the time(from the time I feed him till the next feeding) is clearly uncomfortable most of the time. I have been in contact with his pedi and he started him on zantac for GERD(which he has). He told me I could change his formula again if I feel it's necessary but I don't know which one to go with. He has been on the soy a week but I'm thinking it's not working. He's extremely restless so he doesn't sleep much. I just would like to hear from moms if you had the same issues and what worked for you. He does have acid reflux so I'm not sure what is the better formula for that. Like I said I have been in contact with his pedi so I just need some input. Thanks ladies!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:21 PM on Oct. 7, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My daughter is on Nutramigen. She was miserable for her entire first month or so, constipated and spitting up, would scream after she ate until it was time to eat again and had a rash that covered her body. I begged a new pediatrician to see her. He diagnosed her milk allergy almost immediately upon beginning her exam. Since he put her on the non milk based formula, the change has been amazing. No more screaming from stomach pain and constipation and the rash cleared up with a week.
    wildflowers25

Answer by wildflowers25 at 2:32 PM on Oct. 7, 2009

• Babies sometimes can't tolerate any of the standard baby formulas, such as Similac Advance, Enfamil Gentlease Lipil, or Nestle Good Start Supreme Soy.

These babies likely have both a cow's milk protein allergy and a soy protein allergy and will need an elemental or hydrolyzed protein formula, such as:

Nutramigen Lipil
    Alimentum Advance
    In addition to being lactose free, these formulas are hypoallergenic and are made of proteins that are extensively broken down. They work well for symptoms that could be due to a formula intolerance, such as excessive crying, diarrhea, and problems sleeping.

On the downside, these formulas are much more expensive than standard baby formula. Nutramigen and Alimentum, for example, can cost about $26 to $30 for a 16-oz. can, while you can expect to pay just $14 to $15 for Enfamil Lipil, Nestle Good Start Supreme, or Similac Advance.
    Princessofscots

Answer by Princessofscots at 2:38 PM on Oct. 7, 2009

• GL mama, I was lucky that the switch to Soy was all it took my my little girl.
    Princessofscots

Answer by Princessofscots at 2:39 PM on Oct. 7, 2009

• one of my preemie twins had gerd and a sensitivity to formula...we ended up mixing two kinds of formula for him and once we got the right ratio he thrived!! He was on an 8o/20 mix of Nutramagen and Enfamil AR...within a week he was off the Zantac and holding all his food, sleeping great and happy....message me if you want any more info...good luck!
    shivasgirl

Answer by shivasgirl at 2:40 PM on Oct. 7, 2009

• my daughter is lactose intolerent and has a bad case of reflux. The Zantac will help to calm his tummy acid but most likely will not stop the spit up. it just eases the pain the acid can cause. My daughter was spitting up so bad that it seemed she would spit up half the bottle in a matter of mins. She would continue to spit up all day long. The zantac stopped the crying but the spit up continued. She has been drinking soy since 6 weeks old (now 7.5 months old) and that helped out tons with the rotten egg smelling gas. My doctor told us that if we wanted to switch her to nutramigen we could but it still might not help with the spit up. it is a mechanical thing and all we can do is to control the pain. Still at 7.5 months old she spits up more than an average baby but we have more good days then bad days. The only advice i can give you is to back lots of burp rags and clothes for you and baby. He will one day outgrow it.
    vickwu

Answer by vickwu at 2:44 PM on Oct. 7, 2009

• If you have any questions, send me a message. Spit up all the time is no fun for either parents or baby.
    vickwu

Answer by vickwu at 2:45 PM on Oct. 7, 2009

• sounds like my son but mix in all day COLIC and there he was instead of the spitting up - although they put him on meds HOPING that was the cause of his discomfort. I had a girlfriend who had a ton of success with nutramigen but my son wouldn't even take it -I wish you the best of luck - this is a hard time to get through when you have a fussy little one. I was at the doctors almost every other day/then week = we finally took him to a chiropractor which helped with the colic around 4-1/2 months ASK for some help so you can get some rest too - I was so sleep deprived which made me go into PPD and it made it very hard.
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 3:51 PM on Oct. 7, 2009

• Thank you ladies soo much. And his poops Do smell like rotten eggs too! lol The zantac is not even stopping the crying. And thank you Princessofscots. That was helpful and thank you everyone else For offering to talk via message. I appreciate the support and all your stories
    jasey929

Answer by jasey929 at 6:11 PM on Oct. 7, 2009

• I hate to scare you but do watch him and be sure he is gaining weight. My grandson started spitting up alot at 5 weeks and it turned more into throwing up. He actually would feel a lot better after he spit up. He had pyloric stenosis. We caught it before he lost weight he just didn't gain weight for a week and he was gagging that's a sign and a forceful spit up. This happen to first born white male babies. He had surgery is now almost 5 months old and doing fine
    TDN

Answer by TDN at 6:13 PM on Oct. 7, 2009