Meeting with a new pediatrician tomorrow... what should I look for?

My old pediatrician was wonderful. But we moved out of state and so obviously can't use her any more. I met with one pediatrician and she was awful... very condescending about the choices I've made (delaying vaccinations, to be specific), said she wouldn't help me decide which vaccinations are most important for my daughter now that we're starting and made some ignorant comments about breastfeeding past a year "Well, as long as you can continue to produce..." (what, like it magically goes away after 12 months?!).

Anyway, other than making sure this doctor knows his stuff about breastfeeding and won't be an ass when it comes to my vaccinations decisions (I don't expect him to agree or support my decision but he does have to be curteous and helpful about it) what should I ask him? What should I be looking for? Any suggestions?

Ati_13

Asked by Ati_13 at 2:27 PM on Oct. 7, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• #1 - how long did you have to wait once you signed in?
    #2 - after hours services ; ie oncall numbers available 24/7
    #3 - how the doctor engages your child and includes them in their exam
    #4-ease of making the appointment
    #5 is a nurse or doctor available during office hours when you have questions
    #6 friendlessness of staff
    #7 cleanliness of office including toys.

Good luck to ya!
    texasgurl33

Answer by texasgurl33 at 3:04 PM on Oct. 7, 2009

• I would make sure (sounds like you did with the first doc that you saw) that they actually understand and listen to you! PP has some good ones though too!
    MamaRoberts

Answer by MamaRoberts at 3:08 PM on Oct. 7, 2009

• I agree with First Poster but also look for the reactions when you mention your stands -I had one Ped tell me he didn't believe kids felt teething pain - I have a son who's proven that to be 100% wrong for Him! depends also on issues your DD is having that are your concerns. Make sure they wait for you to finish and don't talk OVER you. Good luck.
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 3:09 PM on Oct. 7, 2009

• The ability to refer to outside resources. My pediatrician, when faced with a breastfeeding issue, immediately will offer to the mother a La Leche League brochure, a lactation consultant referral, and an honest opinion of what the problem might be. When asked a vax question, she is the first to admit that she only has access to the same stuff I do, and recommends Dr Sears vax book.

She admits that she is a human being, not a walking text book. She is an amazing doctor, and I have a lot of respect for a doctor who can say "I am concerned about this fever. Please give me a few minutes to look a few things up. I want to check something."
    apexmommy

Answer by apexmommy at 4:13 PM on Oct. 7, 2009