What made you decide to put your kids in school rather than homeschool?

I wrote a journal today about my decision. Now, I would like to now about what led you to or why you think you will when your children are school age.

*This is for parents who don't homeschool*

Thanks!

Sarah1220

Asked by Sarah1220 at 2:28 PM on Oct. 7, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I couldn't handle having my kids around me 24/7/365. I do not thing I am qualified to teach my kids. Teachers spend years in school to be qualified to teach.

Answer by louise2 at 2:34 PM on Oct. 7, 2009

• I have a college education, however I know my limitations and having the drive, desire and patience to homeschool is out of my league. Not everyone is meant to be a teacher and I would fail my kids. However we do suppliment school worls with extra work at home. South Carolina does not have a great track record for schooling.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 2:35 PM on Oct. 7, 2009

• work full time. can't teach the same way a trained education will. lack of socialization from being home. etc. etc.
    Anonymous

• see my above post I couldn't teach keyboarding. : )
    pagirl71

• educator not education. sorry
    Anonymous

• I could never imagine spending the whole day with my mom while growing up. It is too much. There is a sense of independence when you go off to school. They learn how to interact with people outside of the home without mom or dad there. Some experiences are good and some are bad, but either way it is great to have them. Also, in my opinion, I do not feel a child will learn more at home than at school. In fact, I will be bold enough to say that they would learn less. It isn't just about learning 123's and abc's. It is about your interaction with the teacher and how you cope and handle things. That will be important for later in life when they go to college or get a job.
    jillybean6781

Answer by jillybean6781 at 2:40 PM on Oct. 7, 2009

• Having to work for a living is the biggest reason. I can't afford to stay home. I know I could do a better job than most teachers do...since half of them don't know what they're teaching in the first place. All they care about are the stats of passing grades. Teaching...the way we were taught...has gone completely out the window.
    sonja911

Answer by sonja911 at 2:43 PM on Oct. 7, 2009

• i would be at the mall everyday.i do have an early childhood degree but i wouldnt have the patience.the lady down the street does it.but i think i would be to temted to go out and learn alot about nature and nothing about anything else.besides i still havent figured out how pye =3.14???
    nana77500

Answer by nana77500 at 2:49 PM on Oct. 7, 2009

• While I don't necessarily disagree with it in certain circumstances, I prefer the regular school environment for my kids. A few reasons are that I just know that I'm not the best person for the job, I'm not trained to teach, I don't have the background. Also, we live in a small town, very family friendly, with a great school system, and one of the biggest reasons is that I work full time, thankfully only 2 days in the office and 3 at home, but we can't live without my salary, also, I enjoyed school as a child, I have very fond memories, I can't imagine not have that experience.
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 2:56 PM on Oct. 7, 2009

• My kids have no specific religious or educational needs that would prohibit from doing well in public school. We have excellent public schools. My kids thrive on being around others their own age all day long. I have a degree in teaching and know the training involved. I do not believe all parents know how their children learn best, I know they love them and want whats best, but I do not believe many know how their kids learn best because they have not been trained in the brain/behavioral research behind how children learn. I believe my children learn from both the good and bad examples around them in school. I am not worried about my kids being around those that think or act differently than we do. I believe my kids benefit from exposure to other ways of thinking. I think they will be in difficult and no win situations in their adult life and learning to deal with it in school will help them be more well rounded.
    wildboyz1994

Answer by wildboyz1994 at 3:58 PM on Oct. 7, 2009