does this sound like possible symptoms of autism

my son is 14 months old here is what he does: bites his hand or objects when frustrated, he likes to bite my butt when walking, he said bye and no but haven't said it again for months but he does say momma and hi. he still maintains eye contact. He doesn't eat much but still is gaining weight. his first year his head was bigger than usual but he is growing into it. he is in the 90'th percentiles in size. he likes to play with toy cars and makes vroom noises while pushing them around(don't know if that counts as imaginary play) but he is still social he smiles and watches strangers. he hates his hand being held but likes to cuddle. he doesn't look to see what we are pointing at and just focuses on our hand. what do you think?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:33 PM on Oct. 7, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• i would say that his lack of speaking is probably linked to the biting thing..... he will probably stop biting when he can talk more. boys take a little longer to talk than girls, so just keep that inmind. my oldest son didn't really say much at all until 18 months and then it was like ok, when is this kid gonna stop talking my ear off lol. i wouldn't worry at all
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 7:50 PM on Oct. 7, 2009

• He doesn't sound autistic at all. He is too young to be speaking so much. He sounds normal.
    jillybean6781

Answer by jillybean6781 at 2:34 PM on Oct. 7, 2009

• He sounds like a completely normal 14 month old to me :) My daughter is 16 months and does most of those things... I've mostly broken her of the biting but she still does it when I try to hold her so she'll go to sleep sometimes. She has more words, but she's also 2 months older. He sounds like he's right on track :)
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 2:36 PM on Oct. 7, 2009

• Some of them could be. It's best to discuss it with your doctor, but be prepared for a fight. It can be very hard to get that kind of testing done. In the meantime, I suggest joining a group I belong to:

Autism/Asperger's/PDD Awareness

There are hundreds of members, and it is a great source of information and help.

NightPhoenix

Answer by NightPhoenix at 2:36 PM on Oct. 7, 2009

• Sounds "normal " to me. Or at least it sounds like my son!! lol! he didn't verbally blossom until 19 months and then he exploded !! My son would hit in frustration - but imagine being mad and having NO IDEA how to express it?? I would probably bite or hit too..
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 2:53 PM on Oct. 7, 2009

• Very little there sounds even remotely like a symptom of autism. (I have two autistic boys)

But if you're concerned, you need to talk to your doctor, not us.
    Anonymous