does this sound like possible symptoms of autism

my son is 14 months old here is what he does: bites his hand or objects when frustrated, he likes to bite my butt when walking, he said bye and no but haven't said it again for months but he does say momma and hi. he still maintains eye contact. He doesn't eat much but still is gaining weight. his first year his head was bigger than usual but he is growing into it. he is in the 90'th percentiles in size. he likes to play with toy cars and makes vroom noises while pushing them around(don't know if that counts as imaginary play) but he is still social he smiles and watches strangers. he hates his hand being held but likes to cuddle. he doesn't look to see what we are pointing at and just focuses on our hand. what do you think?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:33 PM on Oct. 7, 2009 in Kids' Health

• He sounds very typical to me and I work with many families who have children on the Autism Spectrum. The biggest give away that he's more than likely not on the Spectrum is his ability to play with a toy car appropriately. Typically, children on the Autism Spectrum will focus on parts of a toy, not the toy as a whole, and will not play with it appropriately, preferring to spin the tires or line the cars up. In fact, every behavior you have described is typical for his age & level of development, but if you are still worried, talk to his pediatrician or call your local Early Intervention office and set up an evaluation.
    Anonymous

• yup
    Anonymous

• sounds like my daughter except she does not bite

will be watching your answers
    Anonymous

• No it doesn't. Google it and read more about it.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 2:35 PM on Oct. 7, 2009

• I do not think that they sound like signs of autism....I think with all the talk of autism in the media that parents have become paranoid and think almost any behavior is associated with it. IMO he is too young to be diagnosed with anything like that at this point and time. Give it another 6 months, he still has a lot of fine tuning on his motor, social and physical skills to do, he isn't even a year and a half old.
    Anonymous

• No I don't think so, call Parents as Teachers if you are concerned, they will come to you house and they do amazing things for all kids, not just special needs, some kiddos are just slower to talk--and the biting, well I myself was a biter, and still on ocassion have the desire to, like the first anon posting who answered so callously, anyway it is a HARD habit to break, but some good tools right on here, don't stress but do give the group a call! Good Luck!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 2:48 PM on Oct. 7, 2009

• Sounds like a typical child to me.
    Autumn22

Answer by Autumn22 at 3:01 PM on Oct. 7, 2009

• He sounds like just about every child I have in my one year old class at work, totally, perfectly normal
    Anonymous

• The only thing that sounds questionable to me is the fact that he used to say things and doesn't anymore. Everything else sounds completely normal.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 3:37 PM on Oct. 7, 2009

• Sounds like a normal child to me.
    Cynthje

Answer by Cynthje at 3:58 PM on Oct. 7, 2009