How much do you play with your baby?

Do you play with them all day? or while they are playing you do your house cleaning?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:39 PM on Oct. 7, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• We do a lot of play time, and we read a lot of books, but for the most part she plays on her own while I make up brochures (trying to start my own business) clean, etc etc. I think it's important for them to get lots of interaction with mom and dad, but also to learn to entertain themselves. I never forced it, though! Whenever she wants to be held or nursed or read to I stop what I'm doing and do it. She feels secure and so she plays on her own for a lot of the day. Simple as that :)
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 2:43 PM on Oct. 7, 2009

• combination of both! i play with my son throughout the day, but if I have cleaning to do or want some me-time like read a magazine, go online to check something or watch some tv, my son is very happy playing by himself. I go to playgroups and playdates when I can
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 2:46 PM on Oct. 7, 2009

• We play with him ALL the time- I TRY to get him interested in something so I can get something done but he runs over to me and says "mommy play cars with max " or read books with max etc.. I wish he was a bit more independant but he's not so we play and read and explore and crash things and laugh and he HELPS me do the laundry or dishes or cook since he won't leave my side..
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 2:46 PM on Oct. 7, 2009

• I work during the day, but in the morning and in the evening we play tons! I'm completely exhausted, but it is worth it.
    jillybean6781

Answer by jillybean6781 at 2:48 PM on Oct. 7, 2009

• We do a lot together. DD will be 2 Oct. 30, and has always been good at entertaining herself, since she could sit up ( I'm lucky, I know.) I'm a sahm, and realized early on the unnecessary guilt I was heaping on myself for the amount /quality of time I spend with her and have since tried to ease up on the self judgement. She loves her books and has a great imagination, so I chalk that play up to creative/independent play. Otherwise we walk, play ball, read, color, play house, do puppets.go to the park and have playdates.
    Ems629

Answer by Ems629 at 3:18 PM on Oct. 7, 2009

• With the baby, we played when he wasn't eating or sleeping. I just worked around what he needed to do.

Now that they are toddlers, they play some by themselves, play some with me, I clean while they are playing, we'll play while I'm cleaning, etc....
    Anonymous

• Mine plays with Daddy in the morning before breakfast. After breakfast in independent play til Mommy comes home at 11:45. I read to her and play til nap and then independent play after nap and play with Mommy and Daddy after bath. My LO is very good at independent play and will keep herself busy for hours at a time. I do my cleaning after nap so that I know she is busy. I think that it is very important for kids to be able to play independently and so we focused on that, b/c my niece couldn't be left alone to color w/o someone sitting next to her b/c she wanted it that way.
    coala

Answer by coala at 6:13 PM on Oct. 7, 2009