What is a "good childhood"?

What do people mean when they say that they had had a good childhood?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:46 PM on Oct. 7, 2009 in General Parenting

• I think a good childhood is one with good memories even if it's not devoid of bad memories. Opportunities to learn things that make you who you are today. Time with family. An occasional adventure together discovering mountains or fishing.

My father was an alcoholic so there are moments that I wouldn't mind forgetting. But if I focus on the good things he taught us when he was sober and on my grandparents who took us to church to keep us out of the house at times. There were plenty of cousins to play with. All in all, it was a good childhood. So I guess it depends on your perspective.
    Glutenfreebaby

Answer by Glutenfreebaby at 8:58 PM on Oct. 7, 2009

• happy, loved, not scared or worried about anything. that kinda thing.
    Anonymous

• I am pretty sure one where you have happy memories of being with your family, I know that I have very fond memories of my own. My DH on the other hand would say one where you lived long enough to grow up--his childhood was not so good. I don't think this takes a lot of money just time.
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 2:52 PM on Oct. 7, 2009

• I think it means they felt safe, happy, and loved as a child.
    Anonymous

• I agree with safe, happy and loved at home and a few good friends. And I also agree that it has little to do with money.
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 3:04 PM on Oct. 7, 2009

• LOL that's a very subjective term I think...
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 3:57 PM on Oct. 7, 2009

• It is a subjective term, but to me it means that overall you knew you were loved, had your basic needs met, felt content or happy most of the time, and were protected from harm as much as possible. To me, it has little to do with where you lived, how much money you had, etc. If you think about your childhood and most of your memories are positive and make you feel good when you remember them, then you probably had a "good childhood".
    jessradtke

Answer by jessradtke at 4:30 PM on Oct. 7, 2009

• Don't know. Mine sucked.
    Anonymous