CO-SLEEPING

So I was planning on co-sleeping

all of my family says it really helped during the first few months when baby isnt aware of night/sleep time and day/awake time.
I thought it would be positive, despite the fact that it may be hard to get baby out of the bed once they are used to being in there.

But I went to one of my pregnancy classes and It got me a bit worried.
Increased SIDS because of pillows, blankets, possible suffocation.

If any one has co-slept with their LO for the first few months please give me some advice, im worrying too much

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:55 PM on Oct. 7, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I co-slept with both my kids, I'm surprised about what you learned in class though, I thought the latest studies shows that safe co-sleeping showed much lower instances of SIDS than a baby in their crib in another room...let me see if I can find that info...

I loved co-sleeping and wouldn't have been so successful breastfeeding if we didn't.
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 3:08 PM on Oct. 7, 2009

• My DD is one year old on Saturday. We've coslept since birth. YOu can do it a few different ways. "Co-sleeping" just means sharing a room. You don't need to bedshare if it makes you uncomfortable. You can put a bassinet, or PnP right by the bed. We did/do bedshare. I only had one pillow for me(and it usually got tossed on the floor anyway) and I used a blanket up to my hips only. DD slept af far to the top of the bed as she could.

Read this: http://thefemininevoice.com/safebedsharingrules.html
    Arisce

Answer by Arisce at 2:59 PM on Oct. 7, 2009

• I say do what feels right for you!! With my first one I planned on trying to get her to sleep on her own that did not go well so for all of our sanity she came to bed with us it was a good choice for us at the time. She went to her own bed at 8 or 9 months and ever since no real big issue. Now with number two I just planned on co sleeping because I loved it with my daughter! Well he is 3 months old and sleeps in his own bed till 3 am then I bring him to bed with us to nurse and sleep the rest of the night. Its just what works for us and him. And no matter what you choose everyone will have to give you there opinion!! Just choose whats right for you and your baby don't worry about anyone else!
    KatSul

Answer by KatSul at 3:00 PM on Oct. 7, 2009

• Listen I am a huge co-sleeping advocate, but when they are very small only in a crib right next to the bed, I almost suffocated my own son when he was about 4 weeks old because I was so tired and rolled over on him. I would have never recovered from this, when they are about 6 months old and more sturdy, bring them on in to bed, but the crib worked great after the incident
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 3:03 PM on Oct. 7, 2009

• I co-slept with all three of my children and now my son and his wife are co-sleeping with my grandson. There are guidelines for safe co-sleeping. There is a lot of info on www.kellymom.com

Moms have been sleeping with their babies until just a few decades ago. In most places in the world moms sleep with their babies. Almost all babies that die from sids in the US die in cribs or a place other than next to their mother in bed.

There are many things that can reduce the risk of sids. The latest is using a fan in the room.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 3:03 PM on Oct. 7, 2009

• I co-slept with my daughter til she was two and my son until he was three. They are both fine and I never had a problem at all with it. Because of co-sleeping,me and my kids slept better and longer than if they fell asleep in the crib. It just worked better for us as a family.
    Carajust

Answer by Carajust at 3:04 PM on Oct. 7, 2009

• Here's some great info from Dr. Sears:

http://www.askdrsears.com/html/7/t071000.asp#

gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 3:19 PM on Oct. 7, 2009

• I co-slept with all my kids. In the same bed. It makes night time nursing SO much easier. Just roll over and there you are. I went back to work when they were all still babies and I found the extra cuddle time really helped. It's wonderful. BUT, beware, it is hard to get them out of there. My son just turned 4 and he is still in our bed. Good luck!!
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 3:26 PM on Oct. 7, 2009

• i coslept with my dd for 18 mts. it was easy and i love the connection. am now coslepeping with my 7 mth old but most of teh times he is in his crib. i think cosleeping actually reduced the rsik of sids when do right by the way sids used to be called infabt crib death. most babies who ahve dies from sids have been in a crib
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 3:39 PM on Oct. 7, 2009

• I cosleep the first few weeks. SIDS is more likely when they are in a separate bed, and especially if they are in a separate room. Funny, they forget to mention the separate room part and focus on cosleeping as being the problem. For me, I do not get completely over exhausted, because I am cosleeping. I aim to spend as much time in bed. I go to bed at like 8, and try to not get up until 8. Of course, I have a supportive husband. After a week, you get a bit better, and are more recovered. I would set up a cosleeper next to the bed and I changed diapers in that. I didn't actually get out of bed all night, and it helped me so much.
    apexmommy

Answer by apexmommy at 4:18 PM on Oct. 7, 2009