what would you do?

ds hasn't been eating dinner lately. he doesn't snack and will even say he's hungry, then he just won't eat. we let him decide what's for dinner, still won't eat. uf we know its something he won't like (such as fish) we make him something special... he still won't eat. now lately I've been letting him eat his dinner later if he asks... I am at the point though where I want to say dinner is now if you want to eat, sit and eat. otherwise nothing else til morning, but I think that's too harsh for a 3y/o. what do you think?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:57 PM on Oct. 7, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I don't think its to harsh at all.
    KatSul

Answer by KatSul at 3:02 PM on Oct. 7, 2009

• I would cut way back on the afternoon snack. He probably isn't hungry because that one is to big. See if that works. Also if you are making dinner at a certain time and he used to eat then, then that is dinner time and what is for dinner is for dinner. That is what I do with both of my kids, they don't eat they can starve, there is always breakfast. It is a dangerous road to cater to one family member. Good luck and I hope he eats soon.

DevilInPigtails

Answer by DevilInPigtails at 3:06 PM on Oct. 7, 2009

• sounds like its a power struggle maybe? I dont think it's too harsh to tell him, or to act on not giving him anything till breakfast, and it sounds like you're the type who would gladly make him something to eat just in case he gives in. he'd eventualy get the hint that dinner time, is the time for the family to eat together...
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 3:07 PM on Oct. 7, 2009

• It's too harsh. Don't make a big deal about food. If he isn't hungry, save it for later.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 3:10 PM on Oct. 7, 2009

• i don't think it is too harsh at all. it will teach him a valuable lesson.....that if you want to eat, then you had better do it when the rest of us eat or wait until the next meal or snack. I had to do this with my oldest son at around 3 and he is almost 5 now. He knows to eat when it is time or wait. That it is his decision whether he eats what is served or not. That way there is no manipulation going on.
    Anonymous

• It took two nights of this for my DS to get it. Now he eats at least half of his dinner before he gets up. I never make him clean his plate but I usually make him take two more bites once he says he is done. If it is something new like a casserole where I cannot add side he likes, he has to eat three bites before he can have something else. Once he is a little older and has had more food experiances, then it will be one bite and the sandwich or leftovers will already be waiting.
    auroura

Answer by auroura at 4:05 PM on Oct. 7, 2009

• Not too harsh at all. He's playing you because he knows you'll fix him just what he wants and now just when he wants it.

If he doesn't eat a meal, no food until the next meal.

Not too harsh, especially at 3 years!
    Anonymous

• First of all, some of you that say 3 meals a day, no snacks in between no food in between are completely unrealistic. Children don't get hungry on an adult's pattern of 3 squares a day. If my daughter refuses dinner, she is allowed a small boring snack (a banana, for example) later, but that's it. We have 3 meals and 3 snack times a day.
    apexmommy

Answer by apexmommy at 5:17 PM on Oct. 7, 2009

• My son is 3,and sometimes he has a day here or there where he just doesnt seem "hungry",but its not an everyday thing. His schedule is a little off anyways though-he usually doesnt really eat "breakfast",he may eat a small "snack" in the morning,but then he goes to school at noon-and eats lunch there @ 1:00,then they are given a snack at 3:45 before being sent home @ 4:00.Sometimes he says he isnt hungry at dinner time around 6ish-so on those nights I usually set his plate in the microwave and then when he says hes hungry later thats what I offer him.3 year olds can be really "different"-they always warn about terrible 2's but never say nothing about trecherous 3s lol.Do you make him set at the table while everyone else eats even though he refuses to? If not maybe that would help-a few nights of watching everybody else eat...good luck!
    dakotasmommy06

Answer by dakotasmommy06 at 10:42 PM on Oct. 7, 2009

• mealtime is mealtime. take it or leave it.

mine did that - we made it clear that mealtime is when you eat. you come eat and leave the table. if you don't eat then you don't eat and go to bed early.

worked like a charm.
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 1:03 PM on Oct. 8, 2009