Traveling with a dog...

My sister wants to move from north carolina to kansas (i just moved her a lil over a month ago and she wants to be here with me) well she has a dog and will not come without her. She has no car and no money for a car so she cant drive. But i have heard so many things about traveling with pets. I am trying to find info online but i cant really find anything. Can you travel with a dog on a train or Plane? If so do you know what the rules are and how much it cost. Her dog is about a year old and is a mixed breed german shephard and pointer. She is a decent sized dog. Please help if you can...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:04 PM on Oct. 7, 2009 in Pets

• You can travel with a dog by plane but the dog would have to ride in a kennel in the luggage area and there would be a big charge.

I don't know about train.

Can you go and get her?
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 3:08 PM on Oct. 7, 2009

• I'm pretty sure she can't travel by train with the dog. Like 90% sure. I agree with PP - absolutely can travel by plane but they're considered "cargo". She'd have to get a travel crate and she'd be put in the cargo hold (which can be cold and noisy and freaks some animals out).
    deadheadjen

Answer by deadheadjen at 3:22 PM on Oct. 7, 2009

• Yes, you can have a dog fly. You will have to buy a crate to put the dog in and they are not cheap. Plus she will want to have the Vet to give the dog something to help it stay calm during the ride. I had a dog fly and after she landed she was never the same. They had put her close to the engines and it made her so nervous ever since! She will want to make sure where the dog will be place inside the plane. Make sure the dog does have water inside the crate.It will cost a lot of money though. I know I would never leave my dog behind if I had to walk all the way to your home. Is there any way you could go pick her up with the dog. That dog is just like her child!!! That would be the best way to travel. I would not put a dog on a plane again!!!
    Butterfly241

Answer by Butterfly241 at 4:36 PM on Oct. 7, 2009

• i cant go get her, i cant drive my hubby does and he is in the Army...plus it is 1200 miles away. Also our car is old and we dorve it here and i would not trust to drive it there and back. I talked to her and she sounds like she might save her money and get a car cause she wouldnt be able to pay for a dog. As much as it would cost her to travel she could get a car.
    Anonymous

• I have a large dog and I considered flying him. After researching it, for my large breed dog, he was going to be extremely uncomfortable. There is a serious risk of thermal shock and the dog will not have adequate opportunity for elimination. He'll be sent cargo, maybe on a different flight. And the cost? OMG-- the air-line crates for dogs that size can be around $100-$250, then there is the cargo fee.

Ride share is a good option. Maybe she can find a college student willing to split gas money? I've used ride share before (when I was in college) to get me and my big dog across big distances.

Where is she in NC? Sent me a msg-- I might know someone going your direction.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 8:35 PM on Oct. 7, 2009

• they allow dogs on trains....we travelled years ago on the autotrain with our dog and cat...you may have to rent a sleeping compartment , I know thats what we did so that the pets could be out of their crates and they usually have a nighttime walk when they stop for water,fuel etc
    michaux

Answer by michaux at 2:11 PM on Oct. 8, 2009

• i saw an airline for just pets on the news. i don't recall the name of this co but would imagine it being something like petair or airpets. i would try google searches that say pet airline. hope something comes up.
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 7:37 PM on Oct. 8, 2009