If a woman has a baby...

can she produce breast milk for the rest of her life if needed? or is there a window and then it stops and they have to wait until their next baby to produce it? example two years after giving birth?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:34 PM on Oct. 7, 2009 in Pregnancy

• There are women who are capable of lactating without ever have giving birth, such as in the case of an adoption. It takes a lot of work, and it doesn't always happen - but its possible.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 3:36 PM on Oct. 7, 2009

• most women start lactating naturally after birth. They will continue to lactate as long as there is a need for the supply.. meaning if you continue to BF, or with some women if you pump. Your milk with dry up if you stop bfing
    Anonymous

• as long as you continue to actively nurse a baby (toddler or child) your body continues to produce milk. once a baby is older and they strt eating solids your supply decreases according to the childs need.
    mommy-2-3

Answer by mommy-2-3 at 3:37 PM on Oct. 7, 2009

• a woman just told me that her mom weaned her when she was 2 and then she could still express a little bit of milk up to 6 years later. in general though the milk dries up not too long after weaning, and then a woman has to wait until she has another baby. but like the first post said, there are ways to lactate without ever having a baby but i don't know much about it :)
    Stefanie83

Answer by Stefanie83 at 3:45 PM on Oct. 7, 2009

• I'm not sure if you can keep making milk after menopause.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 4:15 PM on Oct. 7, 2009

• I know if I go through something very stressful, I can start leaking, and I haven't breastfed for over three years. Not sure if it's a fight or flight response to caring for a child that I thought was in serious danger, but it was definitely interesting!
    halfpint_ny

Answer by halfpint_ny at 6:46 PM on Oct. 7, 2009