question about POOP - TMI!

My DS is three years old. For the past few months his bowel movements have been very strange. He'll have some pebble-type poop, then solid stools, then loose poop, all in a row. It's A LOT, and he does this almost everyday. His pediatrician said it sounds like he has constipation and said to up the fiber and juice. He's always had tons of fiber and I've increased his juice intake, and none of it has made a difference. He gets plenty of fluids and has a fairly healthy diet. And how can it be constipation if he does it everyday? Does anyone have experience with this or know what the deal is?

betheroo

Asked by betheroo at 3:37 PM on Oct. 7, 2009 in Kids' Health

• He could have a buildup of poop that has narrowed his intestines. Push lots of fluids and veggies. Skip on the red meat which can cause a buildup.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 4:02 PM on Oct. 7, 2009

• People have got on my case about how much juice I give my girls but if I don't they get constipated really badly. Its either more juice or I have to use suppositories (which none of us like to do but at times it has become necessary). I make sure too they get lots of fruit & whole grains. They are just really prone to constipation & have been since they were babies.
    Anonymous

• If you have to give that much juice, there's something wrong with the rest of their diet.
    Anonymous

• Constipation is hard and compact, in addition to being difficult to move through. The loose waterty part could be leakage around the constipated areas. If you have given a diet with increased levels of water and fiber for at least two weeks, and nothing has changed, take him back to the doctor. This sort of bowel behavior can sometimes signal the development of an allergy to a food, or possiblt celiac disease. It is important to keep telling the doctor what is going on and not let him tell you to keep pushing fiber and fluids without running tests. If there is a serious problem, it should be diagnosed now, before permanent damage is done.
    preacherskid

Answer by preacherskid at 5:47 PM on Oct. 7, 2009

• I have the same problem if I eat wheat or gluten. A gluten-free diet might be something to try. basically you replace bread and cereal with rice and quinoa and other healthy grains.

daniellecooks.wordpress.com

for recipes
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 11:48 PM on Oct. 7, 2009

• Wow, thanks for your answers. This is so strange because my sister just went to the doctor a couple days ago and was told she may have Celiac disease. We may all be switching to gluten-free now! And that may make sense....my son has had "bumbs" on his body (kind of like small hives) for at least a couple years, and his dr. keeps blowing it off as sensitive skin. But I've always thought it may be related to his diet.
    betheroo

Answer by betheroo at 12:23 PM on Oct. 8, 2009