Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

i want a divorce from my husband

we live in NC. as NC law we need to be separated for one year before the divorce. my family lives in Iowa, and I would need to move there. However, you must live in NC 6months prior to file for divorce. any mothers going through a divorce in NC and needed to move out of state as well??

Answer Question

Asked by vadc4210 at 3:39 PM on Oct. 7, 2009 in Relationships

Level 1 (0 Credits)
Answers (5)
  • My friend's husband filed for divorce from her in NC then he moved to California (to live with his mistress). So you can file then move.

    Answer by admckenzie at 3:45 PM on Oct. 7, 2009

  • wow, I had no idea about that law for NC anyway, I do not live in NC, and am not or have ever been divorced, though my hubby has been divorced previously... Do you have to show proof you lived there for the six months, how about having a P.O. Box address, or using a friend's address? There has to be a loop hole, that seems like a dumb law. But then again, six months can fly by. Good Luck!

    Answer by sylvia-ann at 3:48 PM on Oct. 7, 2009

  • You probably can't take the kids out of state without a court order. In IN you can't leave the state with the kids when you are going through a divorce or are divorced unless you have the other paren't permission or a court order and they never gave court orders. This was until the child was 18 or 21 depending on child support. You can't see relatives, go on vacation, the child can't go on scout trips. It's kidnapping if you leave the state. Amber alert. You go to jail.

    Answer by Gailll at 4:10 PM on Oct. 7, 2009

  • Yes, but if you move home to Iowa and are there a year, wouldn't that make you a resident of Iowa at that point and not North Carolina and then if you filed it would be under Iowa's jurisdiction? I would seriously talk to an attorney before I assumed that there would be an issue with the residency or the children leaving the state. Most will do a consult for free. Hugs and Prayers

    Answer by Lesli at 6:19 PM on Oct. 7, 2009

  • I was married once in NC but so glad I lived in GA for my divorce! Go to Iowa and file there. If you can claim residency (say you live with your folks) you can file. Contact a lawyer before you make any moves to make sure.

    Answer by ecodani at 10:45 PM on Oct. 7, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.