Is anyone else a bit quicker to go to the doctor this year?

Swine flu? My kids have a mild cold and see going to the doc in the am! Just to be safe. Am I paranoid? Posting in p and ce because we talk about it a lot here.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:45 PM on Oct. 7, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• The WORST place to be with sick kids if the doctors office. I worked in a Peds office for years! That and school are probably the MOST likely places to CATCH swine flu.
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 6:21 PM on Oct. 7, 2009

• absolutely not.

if my kids seemed really "off" as though something were wrong, yes, then it would be time to do so. BUT like you say, there are a lot more parents who are going for simple things like a cold- there is even that much more that the kiddos can be exposed to unnecessarily.

as a general rule, unless i absolutely can not get a fever down, they are bleeding and it appears they need stitches, they have uncontrolled diarrhea (we had rotovirus, OMG!), a broken bone, or a concussion, we don't go to the dr's office. as a result, they are literally NEVER sick. when i do have to take them, we always come home with a crud bug.
    not really afraid of H1N1- can't control it. can't live in fear of something that i have no control over. just practice good hygiene, and common sense.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 3:53 PM on Oct. 7, 2009

• I take my kids to the doc a lot anyway. Always have. I'd just rather be safe than sorry... As far as swine flu, it hasn't really effected me. Other than we live in germX. Lol. But I mean, as far as goin 2 the doc, if my kids feel bad, they go. Myself on the other hand... I have no insurance. So I have to tough it out til it gets too bad to handle. Kids are covered by dads insurance, but since I'm not married... Yeah, it sux.
    bridgeh2o

Answer by bridgeh2o at 3:56 PM on Oct. 7, 2009

• I never go to the doctor unless I have been sick for 2weeks and it keeps getting worse. I don't take my son to the doctor either unless he is untreatable with OTC meds. I don't see the point in clogging up their time slots for something like a cold when someone else with a more serious case might need that time.
    usmc0351wife

Answer by usmc0351wife at 4:31 PM on Oct. 7, 2009

• I agree with ObbyDobbie. I only take the kids to the Dr. for well checks (and I really hate to do even that) and when they are very sick (like vomiting for a few days - longer than I can take). It seems like every time I take them even for a well check they come home and are sick with something within a couple of days. I even bring them something to play with instead of getting their hands all over the kiddie toys in the waiting room, which are crawling with goodness knows what.  Besides, my Dr.'s don't want to see you unless you are reporting something serious.  If it's just cold symptoms they give suggestions of what to do and tell you to call back if it doesn't get better within a few days. 

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 4:49 PM on Oct. 7, 2009

• No, not at all. There is nothing you can do about colds-they just run their course. Same with flu.In fact,we are told to stay away from Doctors' offices because they don't want the flu to spread. Just stay home,drink lotsof water and OJ. IF there is a high fever or trouble breathing...then go to the ER,they say. Don't panic.
    Anonymous

• Nope. There are sick people at the doctor's office. I will call the doc if I can't get a fever or vomiting under control.
    Anonymous

• We don't take our kids to the doctor for much. If they seem really out of sorts - listless, exhausted, etc - THEN we take them in. I'm not scared of any flu, even the swine flu.
    asaffell

Answer by asaffell at 6:27 PM on Oct. 7, 2009

• There are specific signs to look for regarding the H1N1. A persistent fever is one. But you should call your doctors office and ask them what to look for that would make it different from the regular flu symptoms.
    Phase3

Answer by Phase3 at 6:37 PM on Oct. 7, 2009

• Nah I am not real worried about it..and I dont take my kids to the doctor that often just when they need their check ups mainly..I am also a first responder so I know a bit ;)
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 9:05 PM on Oct. 7, 2009