Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Should my son get a lawyer for disorderly conduct?

My son was ticket in early sept. for disorderly conduct here in Michigan. He had pulled over and parked his car at a dead end on the street near in his girlfriends in the neighborhood. He has been suffering from insomnia and was very tiered. I have always told him to pull over and sleep if he needs to. I guess a neighbor called the police and the county sheriff came and woke him up. Gave him a breath test etc. My son kept asking what he did wrong and according to him the officer told him not to ask anymore questions or he'd get a ticket and my son asked what it would be for and the officer wrote him up. Well he is due to go to court for a pretrail tomorrow and now I'm getting worried that maybe we should have spoke to a lawyer. This whole thing is so silly but he could get up to 90 days and or $5oo fine.

Answer Question

Asked by momofne at 3:47 PM on Oct. 7, 2009 in Adult Children (18+)

Level 14 (1,471 Credits)
Answers (6)
  • I don't think he would need a lawyer. Are you sure that's the whole story? My 21 year old son and his brother werent' getting along and he was spending the night with him and had nowhere else to go. So he splept in the minivan backseat.

    The police came and asked him what was up. He said he wasn't getting along with his brother and came out to the van and went to sleep. The police said that was a good idea rather than getting in a fight. There was no law against sleeping in the van. That was the end of it.

    Answer by Gailll at 4:01 PM on Oct. 7, 2009

  • I feel your pain. My son got a ticked for trespassing when he was 16 with his friends. Turns out the "no trespassing" signs where posted up about ten feet in the trees so they didn't see them.

    ANYWAY, it's probably too late to get a lawyer but you might call around anyway just to see what to expect. I would definitely go with him and make sure he is dressed really nice and by all means make sure he is very respectful (answering "yes sir/ma'am when answering a question).

    I'm not from Michigan but if he hasn't done anything else in the past, hopefully they'll let him off with a warning or community service. Good luck!

    Answer by Sherrinc at 4:05 PM on Oct. 7, 2009

  • gaill, occasionally you will get a cop on a power trip. I had to deal with one a few months ago. A friend and I were pulled over for her tag being expired. Well she had the new tag in the car, we were on the way to my place so she could use the screw driver to put in on. I mean she had JUST gotten the damn thing. So of COURSE we get pulled over by some jerk who tailgates us. WHen she explains to him that she had the tag in the back seat, if he wanted she or even he could look/reach back there. He said if she was wise she wouldn't evne THINK of reaching in the back seat. So she just sat there shocked. Then he made us get out, and started talking to her about smarting off to an officer...when al lshe said was that she had a tag in the back seat. SO he starts to search the car, IGNORES the tag. and then writes her the ticket. When she showed up to contest it....of COURSE he wasn't there.

    Answer by Anonymous at 1:19 AM on Oct. 8, 2009

  • sounds like there is more to the story. get a lawyer when jail time is a possibility. They will have an attorney on the prosecution side.

    Answer by Lifes-A-Dance at 7:23 PM on Oct. 9, 2009

  • Tell him to just tell the truth. The judge has to act as his lawyer if he doesn't have one (or appt him one). Sometimes it's best not to take a lawyer but if you feel more comfortable then get him one.

    Answer by admckenzie at 10:07 PM on Oct. 10, 2009

  • Get a lawyer. My god son had been out drinking and knew he should not drive home. So he got in his car and went to sleep. It was cold so occasionally he would turn on the car to get the heat. The police came and got him out of the car and asked what he was doing there. Long story short, they arrested him for DUI. He was not going anywhere, he was trying to do the responsible thing and sleep it off. He did not get a lawyer and received 5 years probation. 5 YEARS. He could not drive for 5 years. He did his time and never drove at all. After he finished his sentence, the judge saw him in town and congratulated him on completing his sentence without any more legal issues. Then the judge said, why didn't you contest the arrest - I would have let you go if you had. Yikes. Talk about a hard lesson. Get a lawyer and contest this arrest. Your son does not deserve to have this on his record.

    Answer by KatWW at 11:37 AM on Oct. 14, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.