Why do you choose not to vaccinate? (if this is what you choose)

First off I want to start off by saying I am NOT trying to start a controversy. I respect every parents choice on what they feel is right for their children. I am however curious to what made you choose this. My bf and I were discussing this the othere day and wondering what the reason was behind this what seems to be growing trend.

I do vaccinate my son and for the most part have followed the "schedule" set for vaccines as long as the particular vaccine was available. I also plan on getting my son a flu shot and the H1N1 shot when it is available. I personally feel that science has come a long way and and there are reasons for the vaccines. I feel it's the reason people statically live longer and deadly childhood illness (such as small pox and scarlet fever) are pretty much uncommon.

Like I said not trying to start a controversy just curious. :)

collinsmommy_06

Asked by collinsmommy_06 at 3:49 PM on Oct. 7, 2009 in Kids' Health

• I'm glad there are vaccines. They have done wonders for public health. They are good for the public.

I'm glad for you all that get immunized. If enough people get immunized it makes it more safe for those of who chose not to immunize or to selectively immunize.

For some of the immunizations I feel the risk from the vaccine is worse than the personal benefit.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 3:55 PM on Oct. 7, 2009

• I'm glad for vaccines too. But I've recently made the decision to stop getting vaccinations for my son. For a few reasons. I'm concerned about what is really in them and I'm concerned that they are trying to give too many vaccinations.
    My son has had some, but I'm not going to have him get anymore. I agree with you about sometimes the risk of the vaccine being worse than the personal benefit.
    And I will never judge anyone for what they choose for their child, to get vaccines or not. The judgment I've received for this has been really painful, especially since all I'm doing is trying to make a wise decision about my child's health.
    lovemysweetie

Answer by lovemysweetie at 4:24 PM on Oct. 7, 2009

• We don't vaccinate because we have numerous autoimmune diseases in our family which are hereditary. Any vaccines cause our immune systems to go overboard. They then attack our bodies.
    If you have : Diabetes, lupus, thyroid, fibromyalgia, cfs, ms or any autoimmune disease...please do copious research before taking any vaccinations.
    Anonymous

• Science has come along way. So far along, that most of those diseases we vaccinate for are not deadly or debilitating (most, not all). My daughter had a reaction, and I have decided none of my kids need the vaccines. I will debate a few of them when the kids are bigger, and their immune systems are more developed.
    apexmommy

Answer by apexmommy at 5:19 PM on Oct. 7, 2009

• I don't vaccinate because of the ingredients, the possible adverse reactions and the fact that nobody knows how many cases happen each year. The CDC states that only 10% of vaccine reactions are reported each year. I have links to all of this if you would like them! :) They aren't links for "crazy anti-vax propaganda" either. It's the CDC, package inserts, etc.
    Message me!
    Autumn22

Answer by Autumn22 at 7:10 PM on Oct. 7, 2009

• My oldest has autism. He's 12 now, so he was diagnosed years ago when there was still a controversy about vaccines and autism. I started to do more research and was alarmed at what was in them and possible reactions to them. Based on that info, I have delayed and selectively vaccinated my younger 3.

Answer by missanc at 8:23 PM on Oct. 7, 2009

• I do not vaccinate for many reasons. One is there are risk to vaccinations (reactions etc) there are things in vaccinations that I do not want in my children's systems, and vaccinations are not guaranteed to work, infact some kids can get sick from the vaccinations if they are a live vaccination. check out www.909shot.com or is it www.909shots.com, and the book "a shot in the dark"
    Precious333

Answer by Precious333 at 10:54 PM on Oct. 7, 2009

• I wasn't fully vaccinated and don't plan to vaccinate when my baby is born. Thimerosal is a mercury based preservative that is in US vaccines. It is banned in all other 1st world countries. I don't want to inject my child with heavy metals. Seems like some lobbyists keep dangerous things legal in this country.

Infant immune systems are still developing. When our children are older, we may vaccinate against certain things before international travel, after their systems are stronger and more stable.

For us, the risks outweigh the benefits.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 11:46 PM on Oct. 7, 2009

• Thanks for th input so far. I do have to admit that what I have read so far about not vaccinating is interesting. My son has never had any negative reactions to any of the vaccinations he has received. He doesn't have any allergies or health issues. And with the exception of a couple colds and ear infections (they did have to put in tubes) he is a very healthy three year old.

I think more I would be more interested in seeing the long term overall health of a child who did receive vaccination and one who has not. I understand and respect the hesitation in the parents of children who do have allergies and other hereditary diseases. As well as everyone elses choices not to vaccinate.

collinsmommy_06

Answer by collinsmommy_06 at 11:50 PM on Oct. 7, 2009

• We do not vax for two reasons. One is religious. We feel vax takes it out of God's hands...its as if you are saying, "No God I dont trust you to help keep my child safe, so I am going to take it into my own hands." This is not to say we wouldnt get medical intervention if something is wrong (along with church annointing and prayers) but shots are done BEFORE something is wrong. To us that is not what we believe.

Even if religion had nothing to do with it for me, I would never ever get shots. My older son has sensory processing, youngest has autism, and I have Celiac disesae. That is too many autoimmune problems in my family to mess with the crap in shots.

Just not my thing. No way.
    southernlamom

Answer by southernlamom at 11:08 PM on Oct. 16, 2009