What's going to happen?

Ok, if anyone can give me some insight, great. Long story, I'll try to make it short. My friend (she's 20) husband is deployed right now to Iraq, due back in a few weeks. She's been seeing some other guy while he's gone. She's gone down a bad path, making bad financial and personal decisions. She has a 3 year old daughter. She just filed for divorce from her husband. Today, a friend of ours who is a cop was patrolling our neighborhood and saw the little girl in a window of their house, with no cars home. He knocked, no answer at the door. He sat there for 30 minutes outside the house til she came home. The commander and cops were called. She was arrested. They called my husband to come get the little girl and now we are taking care of her while her mom is being arrested. Don't know what the charges are, but will CPS let her have the baby back? We are afraid that she is going to take the girl and hide so that her hubby can't..

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:16 PM on Oct. 7, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I sure as hell hope they don't give the kid back. What kind of person A)leaves a three year old home alone for God knows how long, but at least half an hour, B) Cheats on her husband C) cheats on her husband who is off risking his life for his family and country?

Your friend doesn't deserve a child.

She needs to grow up and get her shit together.
    Anonymous

• find them when he returns. We have the little girl right now, but if she is released today will they give her back to her? I care about the safety of this little girl and I really feel that even if it was a stupid mistake, and even though she loves the little girl, that she is not in a good place to be taking care of her right now. Her dad is going to be home soon, and they both have family ready to come get the little girl if CPS says she can't go back home, but what are the chances of them sending her back home on a first time offense if nothing bad actually happened to her while she was home alone? Does that even matter? Just trying to get some info on what to expect.
    Anonymous

• Is there a way for your husband to intervene and speak to the commander who is involved to see if he can help out in some way? Perhaps someone should get a hold of the little girl's daddy in Iraq and let him know what is going on. It is very possible that this type of family situation could allow him to be sent home before his command. Someone needs to contact him ASAP so he can have a say in what is going on with his baby girl. Perhaps if you and your husband speak to CPS and tell them your concerns, too, then they will hold off until the dad comes home before they give the child back to her mom.
    Wow, what a predicament! The poor baby girl. ♥
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 4:24 PM on Oct. 7, 2009

• I would like to say CPS will conduct a full investigation and the outcome will be in the best interest of the child. However, in my state alone, there have been several deaths of children where CPS was in the home before and returned the child to the home, only to be killed. A young boy also shot and killed his father with his little sister watching. CPS had been in that home too. several times.
    I hope in your case, they FULLY investigate and maybe give the girl to family members at least until her mom is in a better place in life.
    Anonymous

• Totally agree with anon4:21.

When my LO was 3 he was trying to use the microwave, what if her kid had done that and caught the house on fire.
    Anonymous

• She abandoned her child, I hope she doesn't just get her back. She should have to prove she can make better decisions. I mean I am sure we have all thought how much easier it would be to just run a quick errand and not take the kids, but we don't because that would endanger and scare the crap out of the kids. I would hope that CPS would make her take some parenting classes at the least. Also she sounds like she might be depressed, a counselor might be good for her. When you are depressed you make all sorts of bad decisions and with a hubby deployed that could be it.

DevilInPigtails

Answer by DevilInPigtails at 4:27 PM on Oct. 7, 2009

• CPS will probably do an investigation on your friend, and they will send her to court for the child endangerment charges. She will probably be ordered by a judge to take parenting classes, prove that she has done so, she will most likely get the child back, and have an ongoing investigation until CPS is confident that she is a competent parent. Maybe some probation for her as well depending on your state's laws.
    kenzie07

Answer by kenzie07 at 4:30 PM on Oct. 7, 2009

• Who leaves their child at home alone that young? You need to tell CPS about your concerns. This poor little girl needs an advocate. I know you said she is your friend, but you need worry about this child's safety before the friendship. I couldn't reamin friends with anyone who could do this to a child.
    Anonymous

• This situation would provide the perfect platform for the soon-to-be ex husband to stand on if he chose to fight for custody. I hope he does. Especially since she's been cheating on him while he is fighting for our country :-(
    kenzie07

Answer by kenzie07 at 4:35 PM on Oct. 7, 2009

• could "someone" tell CPS that father is back soon, so they could drag their feet with investagation and give him custdsy when he returns, that way child is with father when the female files for divorce, and has CPS report on her, the odds of father having full time is more likely

bravo on the heads up thinking for the cop

must be small town, no car does not mean no one is home with child
    Anonymous