Thinking about joining the reserves?

My financial situation sucks right now. I went to school, I have gone on a couple of interviews but I havent gotten a job, my bills are so behind and I really dont see a break in the future. So I was thinking about maybe joining the military reserves. I dont know which branch. I am not a hard core person but I can handle my own. I have a 3 year old and I dont want to be away from him too much. Is anyone in the reserves and can tell me about the benefits? I really need a stable future and know that the military does provide some stability for some people (financially), I might be wrong, I dont really know. Can anyone help me out?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:22 PM on Oct. 7, 2009 in Money & Work

• First, finances is not a good reason to join the military, reserves or otherwise. That said, try to contact your local recruiter's offices for the different branches. They will look at your school records and may test you to see where you would fit. I don't want to discourage you if you think you need to do this, but when you enter the military, be it regular, reserves, whatever, you need to enter it understanding that there is a chance you will not come back. I have friends in the regular military and I have friends in the reserves, and let me tell you, they are not staying at home once they finish training. Most of them are getting shipped out, or already have for various places around the world where they are needed. Plus the military personnel I know only get about 1,000 per month- the higher the rank the higher the pay.
    preacherskid

Answer by preacherskid at 4:58 PM on Oct. 7, 2009

• My husband was Active Duty and now he is in the reserves, so here is what I can tell you. If you go in as enlisted and make e-2 while in AIT then as a reservist you will make 209.16 for a weekend drill. While you are in basic and AIT then you will make 1,399.50 as an e-1 and 1,568.70 as an e-2. When my husband joined Active Duty he was able to pass a written test, the physical test, and recruited a friend. He was able to be an E-2 going into basic because of this. It might be something to look into if you decide to join. Also, I want to point out, if you do join, between basic training and AIT, you could be gone for anywhere from 3 months to a year depending on your MOS and the training required. Now, I noticed you said you went to school. Did you complete your Bachelor's degree? If so then you might want to look into becoming an officer. When you are on active duty orders then you will make $2,655.30 a month CONTINUED

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 6:53 PM on Oct. 7, 2009

• Continued... Once you are at your reserve unit then you will make $354.04 on your drill weekends. It is something to consider. Now, what I am about to tell you is based on my area and the MOS's that we have around here. My husband's job in the reserves is to train Reserve and Army National Guard units who are about to deploy. 80% of the units he trains are Army National Guard units. Not saying that reserve units don't get deployed but the National Guard does seem to get deployed more than the Reserves. The reason for this is because the National Guard is made of your infantry and frontline MOS's, while the Reserves is more support MOS's. Yes, there is a chance that you will have to deploy, so that is something that you should consider. Anyways, if you have any questions, feel free to pm me and I will answer them as best as possible.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 7:02 PM on Oct. 7, 2009

• Wanted to add one more thing- There are some positions in the Reserves where you can be Active Duty Reserves. You would basically work M-F every week plus the drill weekend. My husband's unit is made up of about 60% Active Duty Reserves and 40% of just one weekend a month, two weeks a year Reservist.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 7:05 PM on Oct. 7, 2009

• the only thing I feel I can add to these answers is that the military dosen't take single moms.....
    they dont mind divorce after your in but they will not consider you as a singleparent signing up....
    Too much to deal with, who watches the child while you are at basic,tech school, and god forbid you get deployed to the middle east......
    My hubby and I love the airforce reserves, he's been in over 22 years, but when he deploys he knows I can take care of our daughter,home and anything that comes up.....it gives him security to do his job.....
    michaux

Answer by michaux at 1:55 PM on Oct. 8, 2009