NEED advice on how to quickly wean from breastfeeding a 21 month old? HELP!

Please help...any advice would be appreciated!

babyg34

Asked by babyg34 at 4:34 PM on Oct. 7, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Just stop nursing. Tell the baby it is time to go to a cup. It really does work to be honest. I did it with my son at that age. Just tell them no more milk. :)
    Anonymous

• It depends on the situation. Be creative.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 4:42 PM on Oct. 7, 2009

• If you are not on a schedule I would get on one. Then pick the easiest to replace feeding and feel him regular food. Or a sippy of whole milk. One feeding at a time. The ones that are around sleeping times decrease by 1 min. each week until gone, give it 3 or 4 days before moving on to the next one. Stay strong at 21 months you have done a great job and he no longer needs it, but they sure do want it. You can do cold turkey for all of the feeding, but that would be quite the battle and depending on how much you nurse you could be in some serious pain. Good luck hope that helped.

DevilInPigtails

Answer by DevilInPigtails at 4:47 PM on Oct. 7, 2009

• How quick are we talking about? And how often is baby nursing?

A feeding a week till gone is the usual method, which is best on you and baby. Engorgement from fast weaning is no fun! You can up that to every couple of days. And cabbage leaves in the bra will help dry the milk.

But let me toss this your way too....nothing wrong with still nursing at this age. If you're traveling or having surgery, doesn't necessitate weaning.

Good luck, whichever way you go!

Answer by gdiamante at 4:56 PM on Oct. 7, 2009

• "Stay strong at 21 months you have done a great job and he no longer needs it, but they sure do want it. "

Actually, they do still need it. World Health Organization puts two years as the minimum age of weaning. Up to the second birthday, breastmilk provides for optimal development. And it never loses its value.

Answer by gdiamante at 4:57 PM on Oct. 7, 2009

• Depends on how fast. A day? A month?
    apexmommy

Answer by apexmommy at 5:14 PM on Oct. 7, 2009

• drop one feeding every couple of days if necessary to prevent mastitis and engorgement. Why the rush to wean? Just curious. I it medical or something?
    fourisplenty

Answer by fourisplenty at 7:42 PM on Oct. 7, 2009

• i just stopped cold turkey. it took about a week for him to get over it. my son was 12 months
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 7:52 PM on Oct. 7, 2009

• Here's why I ask. You need to consider your baby's needs, if possible. Obviously, there are times when you are just stuck cold turkey weaning. If it can be avoided, it's better on the child AND YOU. Cold turkey weaning is going to leave you and your boobs miserable for days, not to mention you're going to have a very upset child. The slower, more gently you can wean, the better it is on both of you.

But if you're needing something fast for a true emergency (can't think of one off the top of my head, but they absolutely do exist) the best I can come up with is cabbage leaves to start drying up the milk, and plan on the little one needing tons of extra attention.
    apexmommy

Answer by apexmommy at 8:28 PM on Oct. 7, 2009