For moms that are a little "different"....

Why do you think that so many mothers assume that if you have tattoos or piercings, ( I have tasteful tattoos and a nose ring so small most people don't even know I have it) color your hair a different color, don't dress in polos and khaki's, or in any way "out of the norm" that you are some how less of a mother?
I have seen so many posts on here saying that people are shocked by mothers who have tattoos. Or that a woman coloring their hair is trashy ( I guess they're talking about colors outside of the norm because I see alot of mothers with highlights and it doesn't offend me at all) I personally don't color my hair, but I don't see why there is a problem with anyone that does.
I guess what saddens me most about these type of remarks are that these are mothers, and every judgement that they make is passed to their children and helps to shape their opinion. What do all of you think causes this in these women?

Asked by Sarah1220 at 4:35 PM on Oct. 7, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Jealousy and unhappiness

Answer by Steph319 at 4:37 PM on Oct. 7, 2009

• People stereotype and it's wrong, but sadly true! Everyone thinks mothers are supposed to be like June Cleaver on Leave it to Beaver who wears the apron and stays at home and cooks and that is just not the way the world works today. A mother is who you are on the inside. Women are vicious and mean (he he). And most are jealous and have nothing better to do but talk about other people.

Answer by babyg34 at 4:38 PM on Oct. 7, 2009

• Why have tattoos, piercings, weird colored hair, unusual dress if you don't want to draw attention to yourseld as being different. If you have a child that will reflect on them. Time to grow up?

Answer by Gailll at 4:41 PM on Oct. 7, 2009

• Time to grow up?

what is not grown up about having a tattoo and a nose right?

Answer by mamakirs at 4:42 PM on Oct. 7, 2009

• Ditto Steph! Seems to me they are just bored w/their lives & scared to step outside of their comfort zones. I have tats & piercings. I don't dye my hair pink or blue or green, but I have tried purple streaks. My hair just won't hold color tho. @ first, I thought my 11 yo dd was gonna think I was weird, but she begged me to let her dye hers! I told her she could...when she was 18. Same age when she can get a tat or piercing. Lol.

Answer by bridgeh2o at 4:42 PM on Oct. 7, 2009

• Teaching our kids to be themselves isnt a bad thing. Why would we WANT to teach them to care what others think? We dont all need to be carbon copies of eachother. Im pretty "normal" but those are "diff" are what set us all apart. NO reason to feel that things we like or are used to are the only way to live.

Answer by Steph319 at 4:44 PM on Oct. 7, 2009

• ring not typist sucks

Answer by mamakirs at 4:45 PM on Oct. 7, 2009

• Want to know what is really hilarious. I see and hear other women trash taliking Moms with tattoos and piercings. As the are doing it I am sitting or standing there listening and thinking 'You stupid wench. If you ever saw me at the pool you would crap your pants. I have my entire back tattooed in a collaboration piece that is very meaningful to me that took 11 years to finish. Because of my job my tats cannot be visable in a typical short sdleeve collared shirt. If I wasn't making what I'm making I would blow the job off and have my tats wherever I wanted them. People need to live and let live. My kids are well behaved, well fed and TOLERANT of the world around them. Judgmental people are showing how small they really are,.

• Hahahah!! The funny thing, I don't "try to draw attention to myself" at all- right now I have a plain colored shirt on, jeans and ballet flats- all but one of my tattoos are hid, and the one that is visible is one that I got for my mother that passed away ten years ago- a very pretty bird. Does that sound very immature?

But your comment proved my point very much, so thanks! What does that reflect on my children exactly?!

Answer by Sarah1220 at 4:56 PM on Oct. 7, 2009

• I forgot to add that I guess the beautiful tattoos of my children's names and the gorgeous pictures around them on my back do in fact reflect something on them....that they are loved by their mother very much!

Answer by Sarah1220 at 5:04 PM on Oct. 7, 2009