How do I get my almost 2 year old to stop biting her nails?

I already tried making them pretty with polish and that seemed to motivate her to chew it all off. I also tried some bitter nail polish and she said, "yucky mama" and continued to bite them. She complains about her teeth and finger tips hurting and I'm out of ideas.

EC27

Asked by EC27 at 4:39 PM on Oct. 7, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My dd does the same and I did too as a kid. She'll grow out of it. Try and keep her nails short so she has nothing to bite. Otheriwse just keep her hands clean since thats how germs are spread
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 4:41 PM on Oct. 7, 2009

• dip her fingers in vingear my smallest does not like it .
    Tdaycare6678

Answer by Tdaycare6678 at 5:14 PM on Oct. 7, 2009

• i chewed my nails until i was 18. parents tried vinegar, hot sauce, the nasty polish, everything! i guess its a nervous habit. so keep her finger nails clean and when you see her starting in you mught be able to distract her since she is so young. start an activity to keep her attention. Good luck!
    AmandaN1

Answer by AmandaN1 at 5:23 PM on Oct. 7, 2009

• might**
    AmandaN1

Answer by AmandaN1 at 5:24 PM on Oct. 7, 2009

• We're working on that, too! It's an oral habit thing. So, we provide something she CAN chew on. Currently, it's her realistic rubber alligator's tail.
    apexmommy

Answer by apexmommy at 5:42 PM on Oct. 7, 2009

• hot sauce
    Amberoz

Answer by Amberoz at 5:45 PM on Oct. 7, 2009

• I would wait till she is a little older and can be slightly reasoned with. Offer a reward like a manicure or trip to the dollar store. I have 2 bottles of that natural Coke sitting in my fridge waiting for my 2 middle ones to go a week without sucking on their thumb/fingers. They are both doing great, but they are 4 and 7. They NEVER get soda, so this is a super special treat for them.
    Amber115

Answer by Amber115 at 9:36 PM on Oct. 7, 2009