• In the Spotlight:

How should my cervix feel at 24 weeks pregnant?

I did FAM/ NFP before getting pregnat with this baby. Over the previous two days (yet I haven't noticed any today), I have had some BH contractions that made me a little uncomfortable. This didn't start until I was much further along with my first child.

Anyway, I checked my cervix out of curiosity. It seemed to be midway and soft. And the cervical opening wasn't tightly closed like I had expected. Is that how it is supposed to be?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:43 PM on Oct. 7, 2009 in Pregnancy

• you shoulnt be feeling your cervix, does what teh doctor is for
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 4:51 PM on Oct. 7, 2009

• Do not mess with your cervix. You can irritate it and cause preterm labor. As a seasoned OB nurse I don't do vaginal exams on a 24 weeker..........I leave that to the MD who can deal immediately with whatever he finds.

I'm not exactly sure what you mean by the description you gave, but with the cervix will never be completely closed like it was before ever giving birth.

If you have questions, call your practitioner....they can do a speculum exam and visual inspect the cervix.
    obrn4u

Answer by obrn4u at 4:53 PM on Oct. 7, 2009

• So I can have sex, and my husbands penis can touch/ hit my cervix, but I'm not allowed to feel it?

When I gave the description of midway: for me during my regular cycle that is were I would consider my cervix in the mid position.
    Anonymous

• i would say it's pretty useless to try and give yourself a cervical exam unless you have had training to measure dialation and effacement....... but then again i have never even been tempted to touch my cervix but to each her own i guess
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 7:29 PM on Oct. 7, 2009