Thoughts on the CBO assessment?

WASHINGTON – Health care legislation drafted by a key Senate committee would expand coverage to 94 percent of all eligible Americans at a 10-year cost of $829 billion, congressional budget experts said Wednesday, a preliminary estimate likely to power the measure past a major hurdle within days.

The Congressional Budget Office added that the measure would reduce federal deficits by $81 billion over a decade and probably lead to "continued reductions in federal budget deficits" in the years beyond.

The report paves the way for the Senate Finance Committee to vote as early as Friday on the legislation, which is largely in line with President Barack Obama's call for the most sweeping overhaul of the nation's health care system in a half-century.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/us_health_care_overhaul

sweet-a-kins

Asked by sweet-a-kins at 5:26 PM on Oct. 7, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• I just want to know if anyone who is voting has READ the bill. I am glad they managed to keep it under the paltry dollar amount of 900 BILLION. But could someone please READ the dang thing before voting on it. That would be great.....Also, I heard it wasnt a complete bill. If its not a complete bill how ca n the CBO accurately report the numbers. (heard that on MSNBC)

momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 5:32 PM on Oct. 7, 2009

• I say I hope our congressmen and women do what they are there to do - listen to their constituents to make decisions, not the CBO.

I also love that the CBO can see $81 billion in savings coming 10 years down the road, but somehow missed the housing bubble.
    lvpenguino

Answer by lvpenguino at 5:37 PM on Oct. 7, 2009

• Estimates and projection are unreliable especially when it is connected to the government. I heard Sen. Buacus on the Senate floor say that every 30 seconds someone in the USA files for bankruptcy due to medical expenses/bills. Really?! Does he have any idea how many "30 seconds" there are in a year (a little over 6.5 million in one year)? Does he realize that, statistically, everyone who lives in the US will file for bankruptcy in just a few years? Assuming, of course, we all get some catastropic illness  or injury.  Don't give me stats like that. I can multiply. I can figure out that your numbers are - well, stupid. NC started getting rid of the outrageous crazies today in Raleigh. The school board came up for re-elections. They got rid of all but one of the ulta-liberal socialist minded members. Oh yeah!

jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 6:03 PM on Oct. 7, 2009

• They got rid of all but one of the ulta-liberal socialist minded members. Oh yeah!

OH YEAAAH! WAY TO GO RALEIGH NC! now lets get this on a much bigger roll!
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 6:06 PM on Oct. 7, 2009

• Well!
    They've taken care of the cost, obviously, now they just have to get the masses to accept communism!

Now there's the tougher sell, I'll tell ya!
    mustbeGRACE

Answer by mustbeGRACE at 6:15 PM on Oct. 7, 2009

• They took care of the cost by cutting an already almost bankrupt Medicare, adding taxes, sur charges and levies. Their projection may say it will not cause a deficit, but it will most certainly raise taxes on the middle class...something BO promised not to do.

The estimate isn't sustainable...one example, the "cadillac" polices with the big surcharges on them will cease to exist, therefore eliminating this source of revenue. Money will have to added to Medicare to sustain the basics for the baby boomers that are just beginning to trickle in.

This plan and the big surcharge it will charge my insurer for my "cadillac" policy will make it unaffordable to me...thus pushing my family back into government CRAPCARE.

We must still consider the fact that the government has NEVER come in on budget of a social program let alone UNDER one.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 6:30 PM on Oct. 7, 2009

• http://m.yahoo.com/w/ynews?_ult=title%3DNews&.tsrc=yahoo&.intl=US&.lang=en

That's a mobile link. I couldn't pull tours, sweet.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 6:43 PM on Oct. 7, 2009

• yourspecial pretty well summed it up. TAXES
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 6:44 PM on Oct. 7, 2009

• As far as my opinion on it, I'll read the legislation myself. It bothers me that the pubs are dismissing this without reading it, when it seems like it has a lot of the hall marks of what they wanted. I just don't trust any news to report on the bill accurately.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 6:51 PM on Oct. 7, 2009

• As far as my opinion on it, I'll read the legislation myself

You would if they were not refusing to allow us to read it.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 6:55 PM on Oct. 7, 2009