iv question.

has anyone given birth at a hospital an not gotten an iv? or did you not want to have it an got it anyways, but this time around your not wanting it again?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:52 PM on Oct. 7, 2009 in Pregnancy

• You DO NOT have to have an IV in the hospital. You don't HAVE to have anything. Just write in your birth plan that you don't want one and tell them when you get there that you're not concenting to an IV unless there is a problem.

I decided to meet the hospital half way and have a heploc placed so I still had full mobility but if they needed to get a line in in a flash they could. I ended with an induction for high blood pressure anyway, so I had to have the IV, but it wasn't my initial plan.

But you don't have to have any of the routine procedures done to you if you don't want. Including the IV.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 6:21 PM on Oct. 7, 2009

• I had an IV with my first but not with the other three. I got an epidural with the first and with an epi you have to have one to keep your blood pressure up.
    fourisplenty

Answer by fourisplenty at 6:53 PM on Oct. 7, 2009

• I didnt get one. I had a natural labor/birth so I wanted to stay mobile. You have the right to refuse ANYTHING you don't want.
    ma2b08

Answer by ma2b08 at 7:04 PM on Oct. 7, 2009

• Not me personally, but have been with some moms that had one and some that didn't.
    EVERYthing is optional. It is your choice.
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 8:19 PM on Oct. 7, 2009

• in theory the first poster is right, but in practice it is a lot more difficult than that. the first poster said that you can always refuse but in fact many hospitals/OBs make it very very difficult to refuse an IV. i have actually been researching this when i am searching for the hospital i want to birth at.

i did not want an IV when i had my son. then i was GBS positive, and they said i needed an IV. i didn't want to endanger my son so i did it. now i have done more research and i realize that it was not necessary.

for my next birth i am planning to NOT have an IV. i am considering 3 different hospitals. i am going to copy an email i just got from one of them.
    Stefanie83

Answer by Stefanie83 at 8:47 PM on Oct. 7, 2009

• this is in response to some of my questions

Here at OMHS, a lot of the experience of labor and birth depends on each specific physician’s preferences. Their orders for each patient determine the plan of care so I can’t speak for them. I strongly encourage you to talk with the physicians you think you might like to use to base you decision. ***Electronic fetal monitoring and running IVs are the standard of care in that all of the doctors prefer them but again some physicians can be more flexible than others about every different aspect of care.*** There are bathtubs in every private labor room but due to the fetal monitoring we do not use them for labor (physician preference again) and it is not the standard of care to use them for birth.
    Stefanie83

Answer by Stefanie83 at 8:48 PM on Oct. 7, 2009

• to me, that means that the doctor will all but make you get the IV. they will say you need it, pressure you to get it. say your baby is in danger w/out it. same with the monitoring. like in the email above they say you can't get in the tub because of electronic fetal monitoring! blech!

for my first birth, the nurse in the birth class said that everyone HAD to get an IV. i argued a bit with her as my midwife had already said i didn't have to.

i definitely think it's possible to not get an iv but make sure you talk to your doctor or midwife before hand to make sure they are supportive, and that the nurses will not pressure you at the hospital. like when i got to the hospital, the nurses brought out all of this intervention stuff. then said "oh she's with a midwife" and carted it all out again!!!

Stefanie83

Answer by Stefanie83 at 8:53 PM on Oct. 7, 2009

• i'm like you. i'm determined not to get an IV again. (well that's assuming that you got one before and don't want one this time, but that's how it seems). i just think it's a little bit harder than we would like to believe in a lot of hospitals. but we can do it!!!!!!!!!

feel free to send me a message if you want to vent with me some. lol
    Stefanie83

Answer by Stefanie83 at 8:54 PM on Oct. 7, 2009

• btw i have found a hospital an hour away that only "Requires" 15 minutes of electronic fetal monitoring upon admission and doesn't "require" a heploc or IV, and allows you to labor in a tub (if one is available :P )

oh and i'm not even pregnant but i was really nervous about ending up in one of the nightmarish hospitals you read about in books about the state of maternity care in the USA. ;) i had a great hospital with my son's birth but we moved since.
    Stefanie83

Answer by Stefanie83 at 8:57 PM on Oct. 7, 2009

• It's really truly not as hard as you might think if you go in informed. All you have to do is state your preference not to have it and if someone tries to push it on you you just give them the facts... that there's no medical reason to give a healthy woman an IV, that IV's limit movement and limiting movement hinders labor, making you more likely to require more interventions on down the line (all of which is substantiated by evidence and can be backed up with studies if you want). No one can argue with a woman who comes in fully informed with the studies in her purse :p

Failing that, you can just flat refuse. You don't have to have a reason, they can't do ANYTHING to you if you don't consent to it.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 12:03 AM on Oct. 8, 2009