Why won't my 9 month old eat baby food?

My 9 month old daughter doesn't like eating her baby food anymore. I give it to her 3 times a day and she used to love eating it and, in the past couple weeks, she doesn't want it at all. Even if it's a flavor she loved before. I give it to her before she gets her bottle(thats what the doc said to do) and hide the bottle before but she still fights me on it. Any advice ladies would be appreciated. Thanks!

msfila1980

Asked by msfila1980 at 6:18 PM on Oct. 7, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Thanks everyone!
    msfila1980

Answer by msfila1980 at 9:33 PM on Nov. 10, 2009

• First, your doctor was wrong. She needs the nutrients in the formula first, not the baby food. Her body isn't efficient in digesting baby food yet, and that jarred stuff is leached of nutrients in the first place. Give her her bottle first... the food is just for practice until a year. She actually doesn't NEED anything but breastmilk or formula until she's a year.

Second, maybe she is just done with baby food. My daughter stopped eating purees at that age too. She wanted to eat big people food. So instead of giving her jarred foods, give her bites of fresh fruit and vegetables. My daughter especially loved bananas and blueberries at that age.

Good luck!
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 6:25 PM on Oct. 7, 2009

• my dd is like that....so i make her own food. i think the texture of baby food now is way different than a few years ago. it's like slop now so i just make it on my own. just dont season it
    ssnelson26

Answer by ssnelson26 at 6:32 PM on Oct. 7, 2009

• Yep, my DS was like that.
    He was awesome on baby food then one day he was like "Yeah, no" and it was the texture.
    So I would either make my own puree's with soft chunks in it, and I noticed he was able to do the mashing motion with his jaw - so I started him on Gerber's Puffs too.
    Just try and experiment with her. Maybe give her a banana mashed with a fork and see if she likes that. She just might be too sophisticated for all that "baby stuff" now. :D
    K_Sawyer

Answer by K_Sawyer at 6:35 PM on Oct. 7, 2009

• My doc says to give her the baby food first just to get her used to mashing food. It's not her primary source of food. She only has 2 teeth on the bottom so she can't really chew much yet. I may try mashing up bananas and see if that works for her. I do give her 3rd stage food which has some chunks of food. When you make your own baby food, are you just putting in a blender?
    msfila1980

Answer by msfila1980 at 6:46 PM on Oct. 7, 2009

• my 19 month old did the same thing when he was 9 months. Went to go feed him lunch and he absolutely refused it and it was something he had eaten numerous times before. Turns out he want to feed himself big people food. (and i had just stocked up on baby food too!! grr.. :) )
    grooveybabe004

Answer by grooveybabe004 at 6:57 PM on Oct. 7, 2009

• What might be fun for her is if you give her soft chunks of REAL food that babies can have. Chop up a banana, maybe give her some whole wheat crackers, small pieces of cheese. My son loves being able to feed himself. :]
    ours

Answer by ours at 7:07 PM on Oct. 7, 2009

• Try finding a baby food grinder to grind your own foods. They are hard to find nowadays. I can get one from Byler's Country Store here in Delaware. Try going on their website and maybe you can order one. www.bylerscountrystore.com , I think. You can google it, too.
    environmentalpa

Answer by environmentalpa at 7:58 PM on Oct. 7, 2009

• My son started on table food when he was 8 months old. We would just mash whatever we were having with the back of a fork, so it was soft but had some small chunks in it. (He didn't have any teeth until he was 9 months old and now only has 3 at 10 months, but it doesn't matter because you use your molars to chew, which won't be in for a LONG time. They can chew foods before they have teeth, they use their back gums to "chew"). But things that are easy to mash - banana, avocado, sweet potatoes or white potatoes, steamed carrots, etc. are great things to start with.

Answer by missanc at 8:28 PM on Oct. 7, 2009

• My son refused baby food at 7 months. We had to manage soft table food for him. He was ready for the real stuff! Good luck!
    Glutenfreebaby

Answer by Glutenfreebaby at 8:50 PM on Oct. 7, 2009