How can my 11 year old daughter lose weight?

My daughter is 11 years old and she weighs more than e should.I'm not trying to be rude but it's true but of course I don't say anything to her.She eats healthy like she should and works out EVERYDAY but has not lost one pound in like 5 months.What can I do to help her lose weight?By the way she knows she needs to lose weight so i'm not just going to pop out of no were and come up with a new routie.But can someone please help her.
THANKS SOOO MUCH!!!

CCCurstynn

Asked by CCCurstynn at 6:38 PM on Oct. 7, 2009 in Diet & Fitness

• If she's eating healthy and exercising, I don't know what to tell you besides maybe check with the doc to make sure she doesn't have any health problems that contribute to weight gain. I was going to tell you to walk with her in the evenings or before school and cut out junk food and sugary drinks, but since all that is taken care of and not helping I would make doc appt to find out why, that is if she wants to. There's nothing worse than a parent calling you fat so make sure it's what she wants before you step in, that way she doesn't get hurt or feel worse about herself.
    heartfrommyson

Answer by heartfrommyson at 6:42 PM on Oct. 7, 2009

• You are doing the right thing by not letting her know you think she is fat. I would take her for a check up and have her thyroid checked. Good Luck!!
    Anonymous

• u made her fat & you gripe at Her?
    Anonymous

• She might be ready for the change, I turned into a little toad at eleven and by 14 had a figure to die for, that being said, I grew up in a house where fat was the enemy and it led to an eating disorder later, don't harp, see the doc, and it will all work out!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 6:48 PM on Oct. 7, 2009

• I wouldn't necessarily worry about whether she is losing the weight. Has she noticed any changes in her clothes. Do they fit better does she look a little thinner. If nothing is changing then I would ask the dr. to see if anything is wrong.
    coala

Answer by coala at 7:40 PM on Oct. 7, 2009

• A lot of people think they are eating healthy and they are not. If she isn't responding to "healthy" food, it's not healthy enough. Set a goal of 50% raw food. She'll feel fuller longer, have healthier bowels, and get more nutrients. She could be getting too many hormones. Meats and dairy are filled with hormones. Try to buy organic or do away with dairy all together. No soy. It can up her estrogen levels and keep weight on her.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 10:30 PM on Oct. 7, 2009

• We all have different definitions of what is healthy. It is important to not tell her that she is overweight; you don't want to create lifelong eating issues. We drink soy milk and have tofu and edamame at least once a week; we don't have any healthy issued from soy. There is good soy and bad soy. If soy caused health issued, Asian cultures would have had them long before they adopted Western diets.

Make this a family issue. No junkfoods in the house: no high fructose corn syrup, no nitrates, no simple grains like white flour and white rice.

Build meals around fruits and vegetables (7-8 a day, in at least 3 different colors), whole grains (5-6 servings a day) and legumes (at least 2 a day).

Send me a message offlist if you would like recipes and meal ideas.

Answer by rkoloms at 7:51 AM on Oct. 8, 2009

• First and foremost get her fully checked to make sure her thyroid and growth hormones are where they are supposed to be. Has she started her menstrual cycle?
    Read ingredients of prepackaged foods; simple is best. Even talking to a dietitian could help.
    Make preparing meals (even snack time) a family affair.
    1Namba

Answer by 1Namba at 8:17 AM on Oct. 8, 2009

• Well if she's 11 she could be about to enter puberty. I got "chunky" around that age and then not too much later the fat came off and the boobs and hips arrived along with my first period.

If she's eating well and exercising she's either about to go through the change or has a medical problem. Take her to the doctor and make sure everything is ok with her.
    Anonymous

• u made her fat & you gripe at Her? anon :46,

That was an awful thing to say. my dd was chunky at that age and she always ate healthy. 2 years later over the summer she shed all of the baby fat, now she's tall and lean. cccurstyn, just keep doing what youre doing, ask her doctor for advice and check her thyroid. It could be baby fat. dont sweat it too much. Walking is a great way to lose weight and fun. good luck with everything.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:28 AM on Oct. 9, 2009