Is this a rip-off or what?

It was told to all Ohioans that First Energy would be forcing these new energy efficient bulbs on us - whether we want them or not. And, will assess a charge of an additional 60 cents every month on our bills for 3 years. That would mean these bulbs (2 of them) would cost each consumer $21.60, when, in reality, you can buy the exact same bulbs at Home Depot for maybe $5.00 a pair. The worst thing? First Energy has contracted a company OUT OF THE COUNTRY to supply the bulbs. So, we're forced to pay a helluvalot more for something many don't want AND something made in another country (China, most likely). Sadly, PUCO was allowing it to happen, but our Governor stepped in requesting answers to some questions concerning this rip-off and has put a halt on it for now. But, for how long? Until the Gov is paid off by them?

So, if you were one of these First Energy customers, how would YOU feel?

TeensMom07

Asked by TeensMom07 at 7:41 PM on Oct. 7, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• I wouldn't be happy. I am capable of buying my own light bulbs. LOL

Seriously, the energy company will make less money if everyone switches. What better way to offset the loss than to gouge you for the forced cost of buying them? It certainly would make me suspicious.
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 7:48 PM on Oct. 7, 2009

• Those bulbs are going to be mandatory. I forget when, like 2011 or something.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 8:13 PM on Oct. 7, 2009

• Are these the wonderful fluorescent bulbs? The ones with mercury in them? The ones that are the wonder bulbs that save energy now; however, they are toxic and can't be disposed of in the land fill. Those bulbs?

jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 8:15 PM on Oct. 7, 2009

• It seems like you should be able to buy them yourself and show proof of them. It's a little shady that you have to finance them through the power company.

lvpenguino

Answer by lvpenguino at 8:21 PM on Oct. 7, 2009

• Yep those bulbs ..and I have used some through my house no difference in my bill..but ill have no choice but to pay for the sobs soon enough..which cost way more then my reg bulbs which happen to last longer too!
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 8:35 PM on Oct. 7, 2009

• Oh and my old bulbs are made in the USA not CHINA
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 8:37 PM on Oct. 7, 2009

• This is a crock 'o crap! Here I was thinking there were laws against such monopolies and price fixing.

It is interesting that there are no US manufacturers of the new bulbs. They are made in China.

I don't like them. They aren't bright enough for the work I do. I have bought about a zillion regular bulbs. When I run out I will have to have an electrician come in to install additional lighting. I also don't think they save any money. We have lived in our house for 3 years. We switched out all the old bulbs with the new ones to save electricity. I have had to replace several of them already. I was reading somewhere yesterday that the bulbs don't last long when they are used for short periods of time. I also don't like how you have to wait for them to brighten. When I need a light I need it now, not 10 minutes from now.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 8:38 PM on Oct. 7, 2009

• All of this bs ladies unless you are loaded you might want to prepare make sure you have a stash saved up and lesson your bill load as much as possible if you have existing loans pay them off asap if at all possible...we are trying to sell our home we are in now and move over to our other property which has a natural gas well that will never run out..
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 8:46 PM on Oct. 7, 2009

• tnmomofive: I'm coming to live with you!
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 9:00 PM on Oct. 7, 2009

• Lol, target had light bulbs on clearance once, the ones that are supposed to make all the colors look nicer, and they were 50 cents for a three pack. I bought all they had, like 40 packages, cauxe it was SUCH a good deal. It will be a LONG time before I get light bulbs again.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 9:39 PM on Oct. 7, 2009