Is there anything about breast feeding that I should know that isn't readily available in the mainstream?

My son is due next week and the closer it gets the more nervous I get! Is there anything that isn't mainstream that anyone has advice on?

CelticSaint

Asked by CelticSaint at 7:43 PM on Oct. 7, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• lol... there is a TON of info out there that isn;t mainstream!!! My suggestion is to visit www.llli.org (la leche leaguye) and get in contact with a leader and possibly go to a group meeting where they can answer any questions you have or provide you with a lot of information or let you borrow books from their library. One GREAT book is called "the womanly art of breastfeeding" its like the breastfeeding bible lol
    Precious333

Answer by Precious333 at 7:50 PM on Oct. 7, 2009

• DON'T EAT GARLIC- IT DRYS YOUR MILK UP! Honestly, I was told that and a couple months after I had my baby, I ate a Greek sauce called Taziki and it was full of garlic and my milk went dry. I forgot the sauce had raw garlic in it. I was SO upset. My baby wasnt getting enough milk and he got real weak and I had to put him on formula.
    environmentalpa

Answer by environmentalpa at 8:02 PM on Oct. 7, 2009

• I'm Italian so I eat garlic a lot lol...my milk is fine.
    Apr1l

Answer by Apr1l at 8:17 PM on Oct. 7, 2009

• I ate a lot as well, but mine dried up due to other reasons. I would say to just nurse baby often and have faith in your self.
    coala

Answer by coala at 8:20 PM on Oct. 7, 2009

• It was fresh garlic and it was a ton of it... the people who made it were Greek. It was soooo yummy, but I guess I ate waaaaaay too much of it.
    environmentalpa

Answer by environmentalpa at 8:34 PM on Oct. 7, 2009

• The only thing I would tell you is that although you may read that if you get the latch right it shouldn't hurt - it stil might hurt for a little while. My dd's latch was fine but it took me a month before it stopped being uncomfortable. Don't give up if it takes a little while to get the hang of it - once you both settle into it it is SO worth it!
    stepmom929

Answer by stepmom929 at 10:27 PM on Oct. 7, 2009

• I think that a alot of people think that because it's natural that it's easy... well it isn't easy! The first couple of weeks for many people it's really hard... but it doesn't mean that you should give up (and I think that is why so many people do, because they think they can't do it) But if you work on it and give it time... it gets easier.
    Another thing that I hear alot is that they think they need to quit when they go back to work... which isn't true. You can still breastfeed and work.
    The last thing is that it doesn't have to be all or nothing. We supplemented my son with formula from the start... but just because I didn't have enough milk didn't mean I needed to give it up. Eventually we didn't need to supplement... but so many people give up and go straight to formula when they don't have enough milk... it doesn't have to be like that. You just do your best and give what you can... it might be 100% milk or 50%.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 10:54 PM on Oct. 7, 2009

• it will probably be uncomfy at first--so use Lanolin after nursing (the one in the purple tube is best b/c it is free of a harmful chemical and safe for baby to swallow if it happens).
    DO NOT let them give you a nipple shield to use if he has trouble latching on to start with b/c he might not nurse any other way after that, and its a pain in the butt! Sometimes pumping will help get your nipples more supple to he will latch.
    a nursing pillow is extremely helpful.
    you will probably at least want to rent a pump and pump so that you can leave baby for a few hours and daddy or whoever and feed too. (or like with me, i had gallbladder surgery 3 weeks after birth and couldn't nurse very well, let alone hardly MOVE, so daddy could feed him at night, etc).
    when your milk comes in, it gushes out... wear a bra and nursing pads to bed so you don't wake up with half the bed soaked and hubby thinking one of you wet the bed!
    Good Luck!!!
    missbreezy214

Answer by missbreezy214 at 11:21 PM on Oct. 7, 2009

• I agree w/ missbreezy214..... and I'd like to add....
    DON'T let a doctor or nurse or anyone tell you your "supply is low" etc unless it seriously is. I hear of this being so common. Unless these women are on a certain prescription or birth control, that is pretty much b.s. Our breasts are intended to make milk, and it's RARE that a woman just "doesn't produce enough milk" unless her diet is crap and/or she's on a medication or something. (sorry, that just irritates me)
    Keep trying even if it seems super hard. It does get easier, and I promise that. :)
    Your milk won't start really coming in for about 4 days after birth. So, don't let the hospital staff try to tell you to supplement w/ formula. It can be too confusing for baby and also just make your supply lower.
    Relax :) Enjoy the nice bond of breastfeeding and cuddling your baby, it's great!!!
    You can PM me anytime if you have questions :)
    workathome01

Answer by workathome01 at 1:02 AM on Oct. 8, 2009