How do I get over wanting a baby at a young age?

I'm 17, jus turned it in July and lately i've really wanted 2 have a baby. I'm still in scchool, i actually jus started college last week, i live with my mom n i'm single. my common sense keeps tellin me that obviously i'm 2 young n not n tha proper place n my life 2 have a baby but at tha same time sumthin keeps tellin me i really want 2 b a mother right now. i really just want 2 kno y i feel this way n how i can stop feelin this way n feelin jealous everytime i hear bout someone bn pregnant or c someone with a baby

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:51 PM on Oct. 7, 2009 in Trying to Conceive

• well maybe you can seek counsel about this. I think its very normal to want children, and I believe with all my heart that children are blessings from God. I do however believe that children NEED not just moms, but dads too. And that there needs to be a foundation between husband and wife before kids are in the picture. I remember when I first wanted my first child I was marriage, but living with my husband's parents and was kind of unhappy where I was at in life. So, that was part of the reason why I was wanting children sooo badly. The othe part was because wanting children is very foundational for women.... to nurture and care for children, so don't be ashamed of that, but just know that when its the right time (within a marriage) that you will charish your chidren all the more because you waited for them!!! I'll be keeping you in my prayers if thats ok.
    Precious333

Answer by Precious333 at 7:58 PM on Oct. 7, 2009

• I just turned 18
    Ive lived without the help of my parents for 2 years now and Ive completed 2 years of college
    even with all of that under my belt becomming a young mom has become one of the most life altering challenges ever...and the lil guy isnt even here yet

From my POV waiting is best not because having a child is bad but because you have extra time to prepare, get on your own 2 feet, and mature instead of having to rush and do it before your actually ready.

maybe try being a nanny, you'll be able to be around babies or children and you'll have the luxury of being able to give the baby back to its mother at the end of the day and instead of paying to take care of that baby, you will get paid instead.
    DomoniqueWS

Answer by DomoniqueWS at 7:59 PM on Oct. 7, 2009

• get a puppy
    Anonymous

• Do you really want a baby, or are you just bored and unsatisfied with where your life is right now and "think" a baby will make you feel better. Are you craving that unconditional love that you think can only come from a baby right now...that will fill some kind of hole in your heart? Question your motives for wanting a child right now. You might find that you just need to get out there and live your life with the freedom that comes with youth and few ties. As you do that you might find that the hole fills without a baby restricting your freedom. Just like women go and get pregnant in some vain attempt to save a marriage...which rarely works....some women go out and get pregnant in some vain attempt to feel a sense of self worth.....which also rarely works. Just concentrate on building a solid foundation for yourself, so that when a child comes along, you're really ready.
    halfpint_ny

Answer by halfpint_ny at 8:30 PM on Oct. 7, 2009

• babies arent fun for the most part. they are work! lots and lots of work! Sure there are fun parts to it but its a JOB. And really at first babies dont love you in the traditional sense of the word. They cry and scream & poop & yack & keep you up all night & you have to always think of what the baby wants first..the baby ALWAYS comes first. Which is not a bad thing, if you are ready to give up so much but at your age, no you really aren't. You dont understand what it means to skip dinner because the baby is screaming & wont let you put it down. To have to desperately find a sitter when yours is ill & you cant miss a day of work. To only survive on 3 hours sleep for 2 months. And to do all that alone? Wow. Its insanely hard.
    Anonymous

• Honey, I am 19 and I was the same exact way at 16. But sadly to say that they want will never go away until you have one, once its there it will always be there. But I realized that I wasnt getting enough love and I felt like if I had a baby then I would be loved unconditionally by this baby. But I will tell you that if I had a baby at 16 I would not be here where I am right now. Wait until you are out of school found the one that you KNOW you want to be with and wait til you are settled in a home and can afford it.
    Marah2008

Answer by Marah2008 at 10:05 PM on Oct. 7, 2009

• I agree. If you love children than be a nanny of babysitter for now. That way you can get some practice under your belt and the children will have someone loving to be taken care of why their parents are away. Being a mom is VERY hard work and it actually can be kind of lonely at times as well. Its worth it of course, but it is hard.
    Precious333

Answer by Precious333 at 10:43 PM on Oct. 7, 2009

• Wanting a baby is a very normal thing. I want to say you're romanticizing how great being a mom is a bit, but it is rather awesome. :) However, I saw this as a financially secure, independent, happily married woman. I never worry about our next paycheck, where my husband is (or isn't), or that my children might not be getting the very best from us that they can get. Right now, you want a baby for YOU. And that's fine, and normal. However, mull over that you're going to want to give a baby the very best you can, and right now, there's a lot you can do to lay a foundation. Such as finishing school, meeting a great man, who can be a great DAD, and having some working experience. Get involved with kids, boys and girls clubs, ymca, nannying, babysitting. Having a baby is great. Having a baby and being able to give them everything they need is even better.
    apexmommy

Answer by apexmommy at 11:03 PM on Oct. 7, 2009

• *say, not saw this. wow, spelling.
    apexmommy

• I am thinking this is a troll question. Why r u of cafemom?
    dennysgirl07

Answer by dennysgirl07 at 12:24 AM on Oct. 8, 2009