Pagans, question about handfasting.

My husband and I are planning to re-new our wedding vows for our silver anniversary. Since I already did the church wedding, this time I would really love to have a pagan handfasting. How do I go about arranging this? Who do I get to officiate and where do I find them?

beeky

Asked by beeky at 8:02 PM on Oct. 7, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• You'll have to do a pretty exciting web search. The official you chose may want you to design your own ceremony or have a standard that s/he follows. The best first step is to find several people who do this type of ritual and call them. I would search for "handfasting official" and enter your zip code. Also, Unity or Unitarian churches may prove good resources for officials. Also, check to see if you have a Theosophical Society meeting group in your area.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 8:12 PM on Oct. 7, 2009

• Here is a pretty basic ritual and rather step by step guide to a handsfasting...

http://paganspath.com/magik/grimoire/handfast.htm

As for finding someone to do it. You can have a friend become ordained online and do it, search out a local priestess or visit the local Metaphyisical store and ask them...  Or you can simply hire the local cecular marriage officail and have him/her read through the script you give her... 

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 9:14 PM on Oct. 7, 2009

• Unitarian churches are a good place to start looking for an officiate. I did a google search for ours and she was wonderful! She had suggestions and ideas I hadn't thought of and was very open to all the ideas a quirks we wanted.

Good luck!
    Xynyth

Answer by Xynyth at 9:16 PM on Oct. 7, 2009

• Ask a local Pagan group, I am sure they have some who can do the handfasting. I know in our group here I am one and there are 3 others as well.
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 12:02 AM on Oct. 8, 2009

• Witchvox.com and check your local area under Clergy and/or Services.
    As you are already legally married, anyone can officiate as this handfasting isn't a legal contract event.

For the rest, it's much like planning a wedding or a large party depending on the numbers of guests. There are plenty of rituals on the net and in books, so pick one you like, alter it to make it your own and go for it.

Congratulations, yet again. :)
    isabellalecour

Answer by isabellalecour at 10:44 PM on Oct. 8, 2009