Traffic Court

ok I have no idea where else to post this- DH got a ticket, its his second within a year and he didn't have proof of insurance on him, though we do have it. The officer told him he would have to go to court but since that was literally the only thing he would say to DH, we're not sure if its because of the second ticket, the insurance (my guess) or both. And he'd like to know if you have to pay court fees for traffic court and where you can find what they are. And I guess if by chance someone is from the area, we live in Peoria, IL. I tried searching online and found nothing. Any help would be appreciated!

mrs_pulley

Asked by mrs_pulley at 8:03 PM on Oct. 7, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Look up your county government website. Traffic court is almost always by county, no city. Call the clerk of courts office. Someone there can tell you either where to find a fee schedule on line or they can tell you over the phone.

Basically, any time you get any citation, innocent, guilty, or otherwise, you ALWAYS have court fees. It's how all those people get paid.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 8:09 PM on Oct. 7, 2009

• The reason you have to go to court is to show proof of insurance. You may be able to show it before the court date. Some departments will let you do this, some will not. There should be a phone number someone on the ticket. If it is a hand written ticket then it will be on the back of it. Call that number and find out how much the fine is. Did he get a ticket for not having an insurance card? If so, then more than likely they will drop the charges and/or fees for that, so you will only have to pay the fine of the ticket.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 8:10 PM on Oct. 7, 2009

• usually on the ticket somewhere is an address and a number to the county clerks office where he got the ticket from. Call the clerks office and they can tell you how much the ticket will cost and what kind of court fees go with it. The officer told him to come to court to prove his insurance...which means to bring the card showing you're covered. Most likely the ticket can be dropped or reduced. It does help to go before the judge. Online is hard to get the exact info you are needing since most courts don't post regular. I hope this helped :)
    sonja911

Answer by sonja911 at 8:11 PM on Oct. 7, 2009

• I work for the Clerk of Courts office in a County.  I was going to tell you the exact same thing the other 3 ladies have.  Call the County Clerk of Court and you will be able to get the information you need.  Good luck.  Wishing you a wonderful day!shake hand

mommyangela001

Answer by mommyangela001 at 8:22 PM on Oct. 7, 2009