Why am I such a bitch to my kids?

I have 3 tween boys and a baby. I find I have an endless amount of patience for the baby, but yell constantly at the boys. They wont listen and it drives me crazy!!! I have tried the calm approach and they blow right by me so I feel I have to yell. I can't take myself anymore. I'm not usually a bitchy person. I really think it bothers me more than it does them. Help!!!

Asked by Anonymous at 9:05 AM on Jun. 24, 2008 in Tweens (9-12)

• Well, you expect alot more from the boys and you should get it. The best book I have read really helped: How to Talk So Kids Will Listen, How to Listen So Kids will Talk. I think your library would have it so you don't have to buy it. Great tips from exerienced Moms that worked. Example: Use short phrases to get your point across like, "Room" when you want them to clean the room or "Clear up" when it's time to clean the table after supper or "Diaper" when you need a diaper from the bag. They zone out after the third or fourth word. Try that and if it works, check out the book. Good luck. This is one of the most frustrating things and you need some cooperation from your older kids!

Answer by manna1qd at 9:38 AM on Jun. 24, 2008